UY Scheme

Hi everyone

I'm currently at Devonport looking at doing the UY Scheme and making an attempt to go Officer. I was wondering, what is the best way to put myself in a good position and make myself stand out and also what is the whole process like?
I've had a chat with my DO but I'm trying to gather as much info as I can

Thank you

North

Captain Darling

Midshipman
Depends what branch you are aiming for and what you are now. I’d talk to some recent officers who have gone UY In the branch you are looking at and see what they did (it was a while for me now). But in general terms it’s the simple stuff really:
1. Keep your nose clean - any defaulters/Minor Administrative Actions (MAA) all add up and serve to delay proceedings.
2. volunteer for extra stuff like assistant Visit Liaison Officer for some port visits (and do a good job).
3. Help out the killick of the Mess.
4. Demonstrate your organisational ability by sorting out stuff like cohering your mess/dept to host a flight deck BBQ/sports etc.
5. Be good at your job - smash through your task book/exams and get scale A ASAP - but also help out any of your oppos who aren’t as able to go as quick.
6. Make sure you can pass your RNFT anytime - no one likes a porker.
7. Make sure you understand the principles of damage control and ask to shadow different roles in the duty watch - this will help you understand what the OOD does.
8. If you are going warfare then get some bridge time.
9. Prepare for your AIB relentlessly- but don’t be scared of it. If you bomb it keep your chin up - at least you gave it a go - sometimes it’s the failures that forge you in life.
10. Don’t be a dick - some people sadly get above their station in the mess. This gets noticed by everyone and no one wants to share a mess with someone like that - so they won’t want you in their mess.

Good luck. Most of the best officers I’ve worked for were UYs / SUY.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Agree with everything that Capt Darling says - BUT - also be VERY careful not to appear to be a brown-noser or you will alienate the lads you work and live with. Subtlety is key!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
No 'problem'. I'm VERY grateful for my pension - I'm on AFPS75. My 'problem' is/was the fact that an officer on a 4 year short service commission was entitled to a pension while I had to wait 22 years! Also that officers have a much greater monetary pension than I do , despite the salary not being proportionally higher during service. I am aware that (sadly) trade pay, submarine pay, long service pay and diving pay are not included in the pension. I say again - I am most grateful for my pension every month.

I don't propose a massive thread drift here, but you did ask!

You certainly don’t get a pension after 4 years; 16 years after your 21st birthday - which aligns with the length of the old GL commission.

Ratings and Officers’ accrual rates are pretty similar, especially given Ratings reckonable service starts at 18:

Rate of Accrual
6.3 Your accrued benefits do not build up at a uniform rate. AFPS 75 accrual rates are faster up to the immediate pension point, so that after 16 years’ reckonable service as an Officer you will have accrued 28.5% of representative pay and after 22 years’ reckonable service as an Other Rank; you will have accrued 31.83% of representative pay. If you retire at age 55, with 34 years’ reckonable service as an Officer or 37 years’ reckonable service as an Other Rank, you will have accrued the maximum pension of 48.5% of representative pay (the 48.5% excludes the lump sum).

So apart from that…

(And if anyone came to me at Requestman saying I want to be an Officer for the pension I’d politely ask them to carry on…)

D

Deleted 110231

Upper Yardmen.
This modern navy preparing for the 23rd century using such outdated terms as UY and SUY.

Man the fore and main clew garnets and buntlines!

Top-gallant and royal clewlines, flying jib downhaul!

Aloft top-gallant and royal yard men!*

Waspie

War Hero
No 'problem'. I'm VERY grateful for my pension - I'm on AFPS75. My 'problem' is/was the fact that an officer on a 4 year short service commission was entitled to a pension while I had to wait 22 years! Also that officers have a much greater monetary pension than I do , despite the salary not being proportionally higher during service. I am aware that (sadly) trade pay, submarine pay, long service pay and diving pay (AND Flying Pay) are not included in the pension. I say again - I am most grateful for my pension every month.

I don't propose a massive thread drift here, but you did ask!
I know you didn't forget me deliberately!!!!!:D

Chris P

War Hero
Upper Yardmen.
This modern navy preparing for the 23rd century using such outdated terms as UY and SUY.

Man the fore and main clew garnets and buntlines!

Top-gallant and royal clewlines, flying jib downhaul!

Aloft top-gallant and royal yard men!*
Shouldn't you be going with 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds', you could look down on us all then :eek::(

Latest Threads