USS New York

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by skyvet, Jul 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hope this might be of interest ...........................

Here SHE is, the USS New York, made from the World Trade Center!

USS New York

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center.

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite, LA to cast the ship' s bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept. 9, 2003, "those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence," recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. "It was a spiritual moment for everybody there."

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the "hair on my neck stood up." "It had a big meaning to it for all of us," he said. "They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back."

The ship's motto? "Never Forget"
  2. I'd heard the Americans were planning to knock out a few ships made from WTS steel but thought it was just one of those stories which wouldn't turn out to be true. Nice to see they named one after the city itself.

3. She looks a beauty!
    I hope she has many many years of safe sailing ahead of her :)
  4. Beautiful ship. But is it really big enough to carry 1060 personnel? It looks more like a frigate.
  5. Well done USA , nice looking ship . :salut: :salut: :salut:
  6. Twenty-four tons of the steel used in its construction came from the rubble of the World Trade Center, with seven tons melted down and cast to form the ship's "stem bar" — part of the ship's bow.The construction workers reportedly treated it with "reverence usually accorded to religious relics," touching it as they walked by

Hoping this ship will have a good future and go on to help others in need on land and sea.

My Little Tribute to the fallen.

7. i had heard rumours that the wiring was all shot to pieces already in the rush to get her built and that the keel was damaged during build.
  8. I think it's a great idea to honour their dead in this way.

BUT - if you're going to put out a press release, get the photo right. LPD17 is the lead ship of the class USS San Antonio.

For those who may think I'm being pedantic, San Antonio has problems all of her own. Follow the link and scroll down to the photos under "is this acceptable?"

That was over two years ago and she's still not ready to deploy. Not even BigAndExpensiveShips in their wildest moments have managed electrical outfitting like that!
  9. You have to hand it to the Americans that they know how to do patriotism. After suffering Sept 11 it is a very nice touch that they build a ship partly from the wreckage, and that that ship will now kick fcuk out of the perpetrators. There's a certain glory in that which we in Britain probably couldn't emulate due to the endless red tape we seem to have here.
  10. Shit what the Fcuk is going on here?

11. Nice thought there mate , have taken the liberty of saving the picture as , thanks . :salut: