USS JOHN S MCCAIN COLLISION

G

guestm

Meanwhile in the Daily Wail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4811516/US-Navy-consider-crashed-warships-hacked.html) the conspiracy theorists are have a field day ... Could the USS warships have been hacked??? ..... you couldn't make this stuff up!
Default US response now along with 'fake news', the Russians or Chinese hacking them is the cause of all US incidents.

Tragic loss of life that simply shouldn't happen. People must be held to account, it's just unacceptable.

Seadog

War Hero
Default US response now along with 'fake news', the Russians or Chinese hacking them is the cause of all US incidents.

Tragic loss of life that simply shouldn't happen. People must be held to account, it's just unacceptable.
I don't sense from the links that the USN are taking 'hacking' seriously. "We'll consider the possibility " is an unnecessary sop to the tin foil hatters.

During a lull in work today, I re-read the BOI into HMS Nottingham's 2002 altercation with Wolf Rock. If either USS had a Nottingham way of doing things , I'm not surprised they crashed.

The Nottingham BOI is public domain.

'Loss of steering' continues to appear in press reports.

We'd hope that the "What/When/How/Why/Who ? ? ? " investigations will soon provide salutary and instructive answers*.

Regret no consolation to those poor souls who became casualties (RIP) but if this, and her sister ship's similar tragedy, results in a safer environment for others in the future then their loss will not have been in vain.

Re: *answers.

IMHO & if necessary: Culpable heads must be seen to roll - And not merely shunted into a quiet inboard off-grid backwater !

Seadog

War Hero
I was quickly and closely involved with the drama in HMCS/m Chicoutimi. The media were in the dark because of the range but we could still see and hear Sky and BBC NEWS. Their guess work, misinformation and BS was staggering.

Sumo

War Hero
I was quickly and closely involved with the drama in HMCS/m Chicoutimi. The media were in the dark because of the range but we could still see and hear Sky and BBC NEWS. Their guess work, misinformation and BS was staggering.
Saw the final report on that one, never made big press news and the Canadians went quiet, re sold them crap?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Certainly no expert on the subject but one cannot help but think a warship with low visibility on commercial radar transiting a busy shipping lane probably faces a bigger threat from accidental collision than attack from hostile forces...particularly if it has it's automatic identification system switched off.

^Re: #26

From the very early days of the build project the RCN kept a close watching brief, as 'we-might-be-interested-purchasers', but were just tyre-kicking and were unwilling to take up their option to buy some new boats of their own.

As it turned out they finally bought ours on the (very) cheap and (like anything else bought cheaply) it cost them and still continues to do so.

I guess it'll be a long, long time before the full sad story/saga of the 2400s is thoroughly researched and published.

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
^Re: #26

From the very early days of the build project the RCN kept a close watching brief, as 'we-might-be-interested-purchasers', but were just tyre-kicking and were unwilling to take up their option to buy some new boats of their own.

As it turned out they finally bought ours on the (very) cheap and (like anything else bought cheaply) it cost them and still continues to do so.

I guess it'll be a long, long time before the full sad story/saga of the 2400s is thoroughly researched and published.
If my memory serves me correctly the U Boats were moth balled due to cuts, the Canadians initially wanted some of or aging SSN’s but vetoed by the Septic’s under a transfer of knowledge agreement, so they brought the U Boats, which were un moth balled in Barrow.

The incident was a lack of SM protocols / process & procedure whilst underway.

Seadog

War Hero
Close to retirement, head roll or sacrificial Lamb? I suppose that will be reflected on how it affects his pension.
I doubt it will affect his pension, he's 'only' been dismissed from his Command, not the Navy. Not the way anyone wants to remember their last job in the Navy.

For USN sacrificial lambs, look at the CO of the USS Indianapolis, sunk by a Japanese submarine in the closing days of the war. At his Court Martial the prosecution went as far as to call the CO of the Japanese sub. A sad tale and not the USN's finest moment.

I seem to recall that the USN realised how unfair his prosecution had been that they promoted him near or just after death - he killed himself.

The book is called 'In Harms Way'.

Sumo

War Hero
I doubt it will affect his pension, he's 'only' been dismissed from his Command, not the Navy. Not the way anyone wants to remember their last job in the Navy.

For USN sacrificial lambs, look at the CO of the USS Indianapolis, sunk by a Japanese submarine in the closing days of the war. At his Court Martial the prosecution went as far as to call the CO of the Japanese sub. A sad tale and not the USN's finest moment.

I seem to recall that the USN realised how unfair his prosecution had been that they promoted him near or just after death - he killed himself.

The book is called 'In Harms Way'.
Also a few films
Mission of the Shark: The Saga of the USS Indianapolis (TV Movie 1991)
www.imdb.com/title/tt0102455/
  1. Cached
  2. Similar
Action · True story of the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, its crew's struggle to survive the sharks and exposure, and the captain's scape-goat court-martial.
USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage Movie Review (2016) | Roger Ebert
www.rogerebert.com/reviews/uss-indianapolis-men-of-courage-2016
  1. Cached
Rating: 1.5/4 - ‎Review by Glenn Kenny
11 Nov 2016 - The story of the USS Indianapolis is one of the most harrowing in United States history. The Navy ship, a heavy cruiser, was tasked with a ...

Close to retirement, head roll or sacrificial Lamb? I suppose...
All three - His relief was announced earlier this year with handover originally due for some time within the next few weeks, then into retirement.

Whilst it makes sense to get the new man in early he was definitely pushed:

<<... Adm. Scott Swift, commander of U.S. Pacific Fleet, dismissed Aucoin "due to a loss of confidence in his ability to command," the U.S. Pacific Fleet said in a statement.

It said Rear Adm. Phil Sawyer will assume command of the 7th Fleet immediately. Aucoin had expected to retire this year, but his superiors decided to push his departure date due to concerns over his leadership skills, the New York Times reported. Aucoin has commanded the Japan-based fleet since September 2015...>>

I was quickly, loosely and distantly involved in that also.

Latest Threads