USS George W Bush

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by brigham600, May 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wandered down to Stokes Bay earlier this evening and here are a couple of shots of her at anchor.

2. I think they are magnificent but you need a helluva fleet to protect them,we couldn't do it although we did once!
    Not for me though, a two year stretch on the Vic was enough,too many people shouting at you all the time!
    Small ships was my bit and I loved it.
  3. Probably not too much. Tend to have only a few hangar queens down below on visits. More usually ships gizzit store for visitors and those going ashore.

Oddly messy range (compared to usual) on the flightdeck as well....
  4. Try 90 fixed wing and helicopters!!!! Ship's company: 3,200
    Air wing: 2,480 Carrier Air Wing Eight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  5. 829 Flew onto the carrier yesterday, ferrying 1sl...
  6. Ha! Ha! me and Waspie are jealous;-)
  7. A group of Portsmouth Sea Cadets went down for a tour of her today..... lucky devils.
  8. Scouse

Unfortunately, the days of having 90 cabs aboard a CVN are long gone. Looking at her CAG you've got 4 squadrons of various Plastic Bugs, plus a det of Growlers, which will be 50-odd a/c. Add four or five Hawkeye, plus the C2 and probably a dozen helos and you're looking at just over 70. Could still take 90, but they aren't there and haven't been for over ten years now.

When you go aboard them in Stokes Bay, you usually find the aft end of the hangar empty, with any other cabs that don't fit the range up forward.

If we ever buy some aircraft it will be interesting to see just how many QEC/PoW could get aboard (hint - it's a lot more than the official figure of 40........)