USN Zumwalts for £750 million...

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by stumpy, Feb 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The USN has ordered the first two Zumwalt Class ships for $1.4 billion each, roughly £700 million, about the same or less than a Type 45!

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/pub...cts_for_Zumwalt_Class_Destroyers120015077.php

"DDG 1000 has been in design, development and demonstration for almost six years. The Navy has successfully, on cost and on schedule, built and tested the 10 critical technologies that provide the capabilities future ships need. The ship's detail design effort is also on cost and on schedule, and will be more complete at the start of construction next year than any other previous surface warship. This achievement is a testament to the close cooperation between both shipyards, and also between the Navy and industry."

However, I have to say that it is an odd sounding name!

2. Stumpy I think Zumwalt was an septic Admiral during the 60's/70's
    RoofRat

3. Stumpy I think Zumwalt was an septic Admiral during the 60's/70's
    RoofRat
    Oh, and there's more.
    Elmo Russell Zumwalt, Jr. (November 29, 1920 – January 2, 2000) was an American naval leader and the youngest man to serve as Chief of Naval Operations. As an admiral and later the 19th Chief of Naval Operations in the United States Navy, Zumwalt played a major part in the Vietnam War. A highly decorated war veteran, Zumwalt reformed Naval personnel policies in an effort to improve enlisted life and ease racial tensions. After he retired from a 32-year Navy career, he launched an unsuccessful campaign for the U.S. Senate.

4. A single Zumwalt could probably take on and sink our entire surface fleet, put's it even more into perspective.

5. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

[​IMG]

"Interesting" design.

14,500 tonnes and only a complement of 147 including the wafu's....

At least they're getting cruise missiles fitted unlike us.

6. So they get one of these, with more punch than a 45, and they are only building two of them, so the argument that as they are buying more the overall cost comes down... why do we always get shafted when we buy kit?

7. The price you are seeing there is just the unit production price, not the design and engineering costs that allow them to be able to build one. I would not be surprised if we go to buy a few that our price would be about double after they factor in a recovery for the design and development costs and the change to right hand down drive etc etc.Just litle things like all the domestic power is 110VAC and so on.

I did a quick trawl to see if I could find the total programme costs so far and unusually most of my normal sources were rather cagey on this subject though there have been several multi billion dollar contracts for various aspects and the USN seems to have been spending several billion every year on this programme. Also even the unit build contracts are cost plus. So they are not quite as cheap as they seem, even if they are good.

8. Okay so the American accountants are just as sneaky as ours, so yes we are being shafted but not as badly as I had first thought.

9. Rather than saying we were being shafted, we are paying the price for the choices we made. If you want to get real value out of buying from the septics you don't wait till they have designed and built it, then you will get shafted, you join in in the design phase and pay your non recurring costs up front, that way you will get to share in the development and production as is happening with JSF

10. Its far from certain the zumwalts will actually get buiilt in any sort of numbers. The programme has been around in various names for well over fifteen years and has had literally billions of dollars (at least 8 from my sources) spent on R&D and EMD.

It's also 14000 tonnes and as long as an LPD which means we might have one or two issues berthing them in what remains of the bases.

11. Actually haven't they just redesigned these!!!!
    [​IMG]

12. And how long has our Type 45 been hanging around, it after all is the UK version of the Horizon project. The septics always have trouble getting their justification right for new ship classes and with the changing world we live in getting the role that could be sold on capital hill took them a bit of time.

As for the size, Devonport will always be able to build a facility at 5 times the price they first quoted. The real problem as I see it though is that to get real value for our money and the country, we need to be involved near the start of the programme so that we not only influence the design to some extent, but also get UK industry in at the start as well.

13. 100' longer, 10' wider with 11' deeper draft and on Paper a much more capable ship for the same unit purchase price (I know a lot more money went into the project R&D etc) and as an added incentive to the bean counters a smaller crew. (poor crew, just think of all that cleaning).

L

14. Who ever designed it was ahead of his time. Low radar signature before radar had been invented. :thumright:

15. Just think of the damage control party. I'm forgetting, though, that it's so capable that it will never be hit.

16. ...crew?? , does this include the ice cream machine mechanic and vendapac filler/ maintainer ?. :thumright:

17. Your forgetting whas important here. The DUTYS will be almost watch on stop on. On that thing lol

18. Is it true that RN warships are just merchantmen painted light admiralty grey?