Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

USN declare war on Clyde ferry

"A departing US naval ship warned, 'Unidentified vessel approaching on my starboard side, please identify yourself. If you fail to do so, we will open fire on you with live ammunition.'"

Hmmm. If the US vessel had the ferry on it's starboard side then it's highly likely that the ferry was the stand on vessel and the US warship was the give way vessel.

But if the US Warship was constrained by its draught in a narrow buoyed channel, and was restricted in it ability to manouevre then it would have been the ferry that would have been the give way vessel. But I bet the USN vessel was not showing the correct balls/diamonds/lights for that even if it was constrained - which it couldnt have been as you can get bombers and LMV's up there without a problem!

snorko - your little knowledge of Rule of the Road is indeed a dangerous thing! A warship can't be RAM when just transiting unless it is simultaneously launching/recovering helos or LCVPs or minesweeping, RASing or any of the other examples given in IRFPCS or ATP 1D Vol 1. Which I doubt. And if Constrained by its Draught, it would have to be "severely restricted in her ability to deviate from the course she is following", which in that area of the Clyde, again, I doubt.

Shakey's right - Rule 15 applied, and although local rules in the Clyde say that warships flying the correct signals (I bet they weren't) should be treated as "priority traffic", the USS Elmer J Chickenshit was still the give way vessel. When are we going to start telling the Yanks where to get off?

FlagWagger said:
RoofRat said:
Anybody remember the USS Cole?
RoofRat

With the well known US habit of being trigger happy, and with the discussion on T45 and Windows for Warships in another thread, I actually had the Vincennes in mind.

that was totally not the US navy's fault cause they invented a new medical pychiatric syndrome which they called something fancy like 'scenario fulfilment' (and I though that was just a posh name for kinky roleplay sex) and clearly the plane should of not been delayed by an hour leaving an airport and be squarking a civilian code which the military is known to use- I mean obviously a hostile aircraft wouldn't be telling them he was hostile would he- so it's the aircraft's fault for not being a military aircraft!

I jest

jackdanielsaddict said:
that was totally not the US navy's fault cause they invented a new medical pychiatric syndrome which they called something fancy like 'scenario fulfilment' (and I though that was just a posh name for kinky roleplay sex) and clearly the plane should of not been delayed by an hour leaving an airport and be squarking a civilian code which the military is known to use- I mean obviously a hostile aircraft wouldn't be telling them he was hostile would he- so it's the aircraft's fault for not being a military aircraft!

I see that you have the potential for a long successful career in politics in your future....

jackdanielsaddict said:

.... that has just come to a juddering halt - you'd never make a politician with this degree of irony recognition. :)

jackdanielsaddict said:
With the well known US habit of being trigger happy, and with the discussion on T45 and Windows for Warships in another thread, I actually had the Vincennes in mind.

[/quote]

I think they reinvented blue on blue aswell :roll: :roll:

apparently USN has right of way in any dirrection they feel like.......yeah right! :roll:
Saw a us frigate....Perry Class I think....pulling away from a jetty in Norfolk Virginia with a very large barge bearing down on it. Stood waiting for the inevitable crash and saw the fastest astern manoever i've every seen 8O After the barge had gone past the frigate very gently pulled away again and slipped slowly away......wonder what happened to the bridge lookout? :lol:

2002_0724_104757AA.jpg

Couldn't resist lifting (with permission) this image of the frightening threat faced by the USN. Clyde Marine's MV Kenilworth, crewed by fanatical suicidal Islamic fundalmentalists storming at high speed across the Clyde.
C'mon guys, the Faslane Peace Camp followers are a scary lot, but it's hardly Aden!

FlagWagger said:
jackdanielsaddict said:

I see that you have the potential for a long successful career in politics in your future....

jackdanielsaddict said:

.... that has just come to a juddering halt - you'd never make a politician with this degree of irony recognition. :)

damn, I'll have to just settle on a career in the mob then :-(

Nutty said:
2002_0724_104757AA.jpg

Couldn't resist lifting (with permission) this image of the frightening threat faced by the USN. Clyde Marine's MV Kenilworth, crewed by fanatical suicidal Islamic fundalmentalists storming at high speed across the Clyde.
C'mon guys, the Faslane Peace Camp followers are a scary lot, but it's hardly Aden!

Further, the picture was taken by my big bruv from his front garden. The three person's on the fore deck are his wife's daughter, son in law and grandchildren about to take on the might of the USN.

Nutty

My embedded spy on the Rosneath Penninsular overlooking the Clyde and exit from Gareloch's, Clyde Naval Base, informs me that activity by the RN has increased over the past few days. Is it to protect the ferry or the USN ship by getting a Glasgow Kiss.

Two pictures show part of the RN Task Force now in situation;

Not sure where we are going to get the air cover from to fly off this flat top

2003_0613_171604AA.jpg

Now we are takling the RN's latest type 45 Galleon

2004_1019_142048AA-copy.jpg

You know it makes sense

Nutty

Latest Threads