Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

USN declare war on Clyde ferry

Another case of Yanks being the old 'I am considerably bigger than you' syndrome.

CH16 IS the correct channel to broadcast such warnings on, so the 'source' was incorrect with the statement.

During exercises such as these and lets fact it, JMC (Neptune Warrior) has been going for years with a set format, they normally have a 'simulated warnings' VHF channel for such exercise.

I assume the Yank bridge team could not work out that a slow moving ferry was not a 'FIAC' and were therefore, all but ready to blow it out of the water if it had not responded to the CH16 VHF call.

IMHO, Yanks are arrogant, have their own rules, think they own the world and really do think the world outside of America is dumb.

I can see your point roof rat and fully understand, but not quite sure how long the Helensburgh Fundamentalist Party have had access to FIAC and the like though. ;-) :) I agree the need for being careful and not taking things for granted or it may bit you in the butt. However, threatening to blow a ferry out of the water just because it happens to be in the same area is a bit OTT in my view.

Just to add, when I was based in Faslane, we had a number of USN Warships moored up at the Garelochead fuel depot on occasion. On a number of occasions they apprehended and threatened to open Fire on the MDP for being unidentified intruders. Makes you wonder - if you see a guy in one of the most secure Military bases in the UK, In a car marked "police", wearing uniform that say "police" on it, who is patrolling the jetty alongside your ship in the 3 hour stint and you still mistake him for a terrorist - how ******* stupid are these people!

I remember doing a 2-week NATO exercise, similar to JMC, off Lisbon in about '97 as preparation for manoeuvres in a 'Balkan environment'. The exercise was being conducted in stages (1. Diplomatic negotiations; 2. Staged ROE exercises; 3. Free play). Incidentally the contacts of interest were real-time vessels that happened to be in our area (ferries, yachts, etc.).

A US warship (who's name I conveniently can't remember at this time!) was supposed to be engaged in the 'negotiations' stage, such as challenging them on VHF ("what is your cargo/destination/passengers/etc".). This part was supposed to last about 2 days, but obviously the Yanks were a little bit confused and frustrated by the 'negotiation' part and decided to do exactly as the ship in the Clyde did - it started to aggressively engage the contacts, peppering them with (fortunately!) paper weapons. In fact they were so enthusiastic in their engagement that they had expended all their paper weapons before the next part of the exercise, and we told to leave by the OCE!

Suffice to say the rest of the nationalities had a giggle at their expense after the exercise...

:lol: Good one Brigham :lol:
I can see your point roof rat and fully understand, but not quite sure how long the Helensburgh Fundamentalist Party have had access to FIAC and the like though. Wink Smile I agree the need for being careful and not taking things for granted or it may bit you in the butt. However, threatening to blow a ferry out of the water just because it happens to be in the same area is a bit OTT in my view.

I'd be more frightened of the "Helensburgh Fundamentalist Party" I think :roll:
RoofRat

It's never been the same up there since the Fundamentalist Party of Helensburgh parted company with some of it's founder members. And whatever became of the Popular People's Fundamentalist Front (Helensburgh Branch)?! 8O

Little wonder so many are killed by friendly fire with these trigger happy jerks.Good argument against the right to bear arms.
:roll:

The hit on the COLE ruined my planned run ashore in Hafia as Fleet cancelled the YORKs trip there days after the COLE was walloped.

I can remember the dits going around back then...

A Yemeni in a Gemini :)

Word was on my OOD SPO Cse that it could have been the GLO a month earlier!

However during their recce they were detered by our highly trained Upper deck sentry/ninja!

Latest Threads