USMC Officer Candidate seeks help from Royal Marines

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by prescott, Jun 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there. I'm an Officer Candidate in the United States Marine Corps and would like to find a place close to the Royal Henley Regatta to train with some current / former Royal Marines while I'm over in England. I'll be there on June 29th to see my brother row and leave on July 7th to come back and train in the US.

The reason I'm writing this forum is because we have a Color Sergeant from the Royal Marines at OCS that trains us and I can say that, from last summer, his workout was harder than anything else I've ever done there. Though that will probably change this summer, I would still like to keep in good shape in England before I return to the states and continue training.

My second goal is to have candid discussion with current and former Royal Marines in regards to how the government has helped them through college and how they have achieved a degree in higher education.

I recently founded a non-profit group called Semper Fi House ( with two former USMC Captains. We are hoping to help future and former Marines get an education, so I would really appreciate having another perspective from what another part of the world is doing, especially from such a well-respected military force in the United Kingdom.

If you can help me figure out if either of these goals are possible I would sincerely appreciate the help. If you'd like to reply to the post with insight from your own experience in getting a degree after leaving military service then that would be appreciated as well.

Semper Fidelis,
    Prescott Paulin
    [email protected]
  2. Hello Mate

Check out this link below. It is Henley detachment of a Royal Marines Reserve unit that i was a trained rank with in the 1990's. I'm not guaranteeing anything but someone there might be able to help accomodate you.

good luck

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

"Repetitive biff syndrome" Nutts?
  5. Sorry mate, but this isn't the US forces - we don't get to serve for a few years and then have our way through University paid for. It's a great idea, and it'd be fantastic if we could, but never going to happen here.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ;)
  6. Yeah mate, was whacking me old todger over the keys. Funny thing is i was doing it from the bathroom and the PC's in my front bedroom LOL

7. Perhaps you should reattach it with a stronger glue?
  8. You are not wrong but ...

There is a scheme called DTUS (Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme) which will sponsor you through University before you join. The purpose of DTUS is to try and get more Engineers into the Services and the MoD, through a bit of bribery.

More of the details can be found < here >