using a lighter flame to help polish boots...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ElectroDreams, Jun 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does this method work? Or would I be breaking Health & Safety rules down at Raleigh. 8O
  2. All that does is spread it by melting. Good ole spit will beat anything, try it.
  3. when i was in the ta if we got caught doing that are sgt would PT are Arses untill we fall down LOL

but good question for raleigh
  4. Do you get taught how to polish your boots down there or are you expected to know this stuff?
  5. Probably Both...
    Spit and Polish, mind you be aware of N1H1 Pig Flu you could wipe out the whole of the wardroom
  6. That would be a catastrophe :p
  7. I used ME7!
  8. don't spit, the enzymes in saliva break down the oils and waxes that are in the polish and mean that its doing nothing for the leather, same as if you use a lighter to heat the polish your best bet get your self some svelte polishing cloths brush polish first then go over with the svelte cloth and some normal tap water until mirror shiny, job done.
  9. There's threads on this subject already and if you torch you boots at Raleigh you just set off the fire alarms :angryfire:
  10. Someone tried it in my mess, spilt it all over the deck and it was a bitch for the lads on cleaning duties. Duster, Polish, Cottonbuds, Water.
  11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Flames and hot spoons were required for the old style boots that had "crinkly" finish. Water and polish will suffice.
  12. Im down at raleigh now. You dont really get taught by the instructors how to polish your boots and shoes. The more senior recruits further through training give u advice on everything u need to know in your first couple of weeks. No spit or burning needed! Selvyt cloth which u can buy here at the naafi then polish and water and perseverance is all u need.
  13. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

WTF are sylvette cloths? How did we manage before them? Do they do your boots for you while you press your kit into kit book size folds?