Useful kit for Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by roberts09, Feb 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am going to Raleigh in 4 months and i am in the process of picking up bits from the kit list but i was wondering is there anythings that could be useful for Raleigh but are not on the kit list .ie. from personal experience.

2. I don't think you find these on the kit list:

A sense of humour - it'll get you through everything, as in "if you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined".

An ability to pull others through the tough times, not just focus on your own needs/issues. No-one gets through on their own.

A real sense of pride in what you are joining. It's not a job, it's not even a way of life, it's more than that, much more.
  3. I took my court shoes, as they looked pretty with my Nos 1s.
  4. My son always shouted for insoles for his boots.

Had a pair nicked and it was the first thing he phoned home for.

Tip, don't take anything your not prepared to lose.
  5. So should I pack it or not? :D

Extra kit on my list so far...

Selvyt cloth and gloves for bulling boots.
    Wonderweb (to assist sewing).
    Stain Removing Soap.
    Travel Ear Plugs (to assist sleeping).
  6. what kind of tramp would steal a pair of used insoles??? lmao!!
  7. Well i woulndt be seen dead with out my Gieves and Hawkes Campaign Furniture,along with my Wine cooler by Gillows of London.If the weather looks inclement then id break out my Barbour Foul Weather gear.Also dont for get your Camping stove and samovar.
  8. Well some tosser did. Cos Ma & Pa had to rush a replacement to him.

Still want to join?
  9. Ah yes Sellotape, thats just great for getting rid of that unwanted fluff of yer best suit seconds before being inspected. Forgot about that must have. Cheap and so versatile.
  10. this is a great thread.. lol... joining in a month, sellotape will remember that cheers
  11. Providing I don't mong up my entry tests I think I should be allowed to take a trouser press. Sod irons!
  12. Might be a problem carting it down on the train!
  13. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

The most useful piece of extra kit that you can take is a piece of wood or perspex that is A4 sized-this will aid you in your kit musters trust me. It wasn't on the kit list when I joined up and it was the one thing that EVERYONE used.

If it isn't on the kit list still, could N_S or Supermario tell me why?

14. A4 - A bloody 4.

What happened to Ships Book size? :roll:

A4 is bleeding huge by comparison. :? 8O
  15. Good call, but I would recommend cheap parcel tape. The cheap stuff is thinner, so it goes further, and it is nice and wide.
  16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

So what is on the kit list for a dapper around town recruit of today? If we knew we might be able to throw a few suggestions in lads.
  17. I'll need to remember a few of these things lol. I'll be going in 2 months and this is a very usefull thread
  18. try this for folding clothes A4 Clicky
  19. I saw an advert for a company that actually make those.