Use of quotes from Publications

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Nutty, Feb 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Moderator Mode

Gentlemen if you use sections of work taken from Books, Newspapers etc. please give them an acknowledgment of their work. That way most, well not "Harrods" will be happy to allow use of what is in fact in most cases copyright.

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

Nutty :thumright:
  2. Nutty, I consider most of the people using quotes from publications to be Walts. The done it and seen its are quoting from memory, what's left that is! :thumright:
  3. SELJUK, Does that mean you cannot talk about or comment on anything other than what you have experienced directly?

Making proper use of quotations and arguments derived from other than your own experiences can be very powerful, especially when your memory is going ... er ... I mean .. especially when discussing, arguing or taking up a position on past, present and future topics which you may not or indeed cannot have had direct experience of.

You are correct that Walts may simply copy and paste the work or experiences of others, but that only makes them look even more stupid if only because it enables us to identify them as Walts in the first place. :thumright:

P.S. Do you remember where you live? :w00t:
  4. Moderator Mode

I am not sure that I agree with that suggestion as many people use quotes to support an argument or attitude. I made the postings as I have noticed that if members fail to give an acknowledgment then others use this fact to snipe and then personal discussions slip in.

I try to keep the personal bit down to a minimum in Submariners it is better suited to other Forums.

PS New Signature by Conyo over at the other place,
  5. I see your point, but surely (to paraphrase BooryHash) if someone is using quotes to support their argument or attitude, it strengthens their position if they can show that an eminent person shares the same view. It is when someone is unable to put together a cohesive argument of their own that they plagiarise.

Edited to give credit where it's due!
  6. Oi! That's what I said! :w00t: