US Vessel Fires at Threat in Gulf

Tribalclass

Midshipman
Looks like they played it pretty straight to me. Our Rules of Engagement are pretty much the same as theirs, so it could just as easily been RFA Wave Sovreign in the limelight. Johny Fishingbloke f**ked up. Unlucky Lofty.

Flagdeck

War Hero
It would seem that Elmer may have fucked up;again.
"In accordance with navy force protection procedures, the sailors... used a series of non-lethal, preplanned responses to warn the vessel before resorting to lethal force," the statement said.

If defending your ship and crew is a fcuk up, I'd hate to be in your navy Finx.

danny

War Hero
A **** up? The **** up would be letting a fishing boat packed with explosives plough in to the hull.

Waspie

War Hero
Elmer sends a clear concise message in my book.

Don't **** with the big boys, they WILL spoil your day!

finknottle

Banned
So the Elmers version of events must be the gospel truth then, we have seen in the past how they duck and dive when innocent people are killed, just a bit of 'collateral damage' so nothing for anyone to be concerned about.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Unless you have access to information that is contrary to that which is freely available then I suggest you practice what you preach and not be concerned about it. But if you keep looking for conspiracies where there are none then even the shitehawks in your back garden will soon begin to look like little Black Helicopters... :shock:

finknottle

Banned
Unless you have access to information that is contrary to that which is freely available then I suggest you practice what you preach and not be concerned about it. But if you keep looking for conspiracies where there are none then even the shitehawks in your back garden will soon begin to look like little Black Helicopters... :shock:

I know that you think you are the fount of all knowledge but not even you could know the true sequence of events, you are just blindly believing what has been presented to us so far, whereas I sensibly await the passage of time for the truth to emerge and take nothing at face value.

The video clip proves what exactly?

Last edited:

broadside

War Hero
I know that you think you are the fount of all knowledge but not even you could know the true sequence of events, you are just blindly believing what has been presented to us so far, whereas I sensibly await the passage of time for the truth to emerge.

But in the meantime make the assumption that "the Elmers have fucked up" ...

They may have done or they may not have done but your "speculation" is hardly impartial is it?

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I know that you think you are the fount of all knowledge but not even you could know the true sequence of events, you are just blindly believing what has been presented to us so far, whereas I sensibly await the passage of time for the truth to emerge.
Another typical Finks response - deflect from your own point of view by trying to imply an inadaquacy in the other person's comment, rather than having the power of conviction to reiterate or substantiate your own opinion with verifiable sources of information and thus make assumptions about an event without any true understanding. While I am confident to admit that I know quite a bit about a variety of matters, I have never suggested I am the "fount of all knowledge" about this story and am willing to accept the official version of events, until other evidence comes to light. However, you continue to suggest that there is more going on than we are led to believe. I merely offered you the opportunity to supply such information or at least back up your previous comment with something of substance. But yet again, you have failed to do so, resorting to comments such as this.

I believe Trehorn posted the video link (of an Israeli patrol boat being blown up by suicide bombers disguised as fishermen) to illustrate the point that not every small craft is as innocent as it looks and, as such, military craft should remain vigilant when patrolling hostile waters. Failure to do so will result in tragic consequences, as demonstrated in the clip.

finknottle

Banned
Well SPB you accept the version of events time alone will tell whether you were right to do so and IMO the video clip is irrelevant. I would have thought that in your line of work you would wait until all the evidence is in.

You say that in my response I attempted to deflect from my own point, not at all it was just a response to what I see as the superior attitude that you so frequently adopt, it can become a tad tiresome.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
...You say that in my response I attempted to deflect from my own point, not at all it was just a response to what I see as the superior attitude that you so frequently adopt, it can become a tad tiresome.

Anyway, back on topic... if it transpires that the dead and injured fishermen were entirely innocent (of acts of terrorism) then commiserations to their family, and may their souls rest in peace. But if they are found to be members of a terrorist organisation then commiserations to their family, and may their souls rest in peace. But BZ to the US Navy.

Seadog

War Hero
Looks like they played it pretty straight to me. Our Rules of Engagement are pretty much the same as theirs, so it could just as easily been RFA Wave Sovreign in the limelight. Johny Fishingbloke f**ked up. Unlucky Lofty.
Unlucky indeed. If the Americans did get it wrong their crystal ball operator is in the brown and smelly. Finks, don't expect an investigation that'll involve anyone but the USN and I include the USMC who most likely do force protection, and MSC.

RFA Wave Sovereign ? Has MARS delivered ahead of schedule?

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Over two-thirds of under-10-metre fishing vessel owners register for the MMO Catch App in first 6 months MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp IRANIANS ACCIDENTALLY SINK OWN VESSEL Current Affairs 4
MoD_RSS Coronavirus - Temporary changes to how we process fishing vessel licence applicatons MoD News 0
M Risk Assessment of Military Exercise on Vessel The Quarterdeck 13
MoD_RSS Fishing vessel owner and skipper ordered to pay £7,343 for fisheries offences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fines for captain and owner of party boat which collided with police dock and vessel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fishing vessel owner and skipper ordered to pay £21,240 for fisheries offences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fishing vessel sinks off Isle of Man MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Two people rescued from sinking sailing vessel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fishing vessel owner and skipper ordered to pay £55,842.47 for fisheries offences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy’s new Offshore Patrol Vessel named HMS Spey MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fishing vessel owner and skippers ordered to pay £88,777.60 for fisheries offences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two men rescued after their vessel catches fire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Fishing vessel owner and skipper ordered to pay £76,772.50 for fisheries offences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Fishing vessel owner ordered to pay £6,600 for fisheries offences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy vessel identifies evasion of North Korea sanctions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Royal Navy’s new offshore patrol vessel named HMS Tamar MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Crew rescued from French fishing vessel off Lands End MoD News 0
J River class patrol vessel Joining the Royal Navy 17
MoD_RSS News story: Master and vessel owner ordered to pay £15,624 for fisheries offences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Navy vessel to be sent to the Channel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Four fishermen rescued after vessel capsized in English channel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Winchman boards heaving fishing vessel in rough seas MoD News 0
soleil BVI News: "UK Navy Vessel Docks In Miami In Preparation For Hurricane Season" RFA 0
soleil Dorset Echo: "Lt Lauren Webber From Chickerell Now Commanding Officer Of Royal Navy Vessel HMS Puncher" The Fleet 24
soleil Defence Connect: "De-Risking The Type 26 Vessel, Nigel Stewart, SEA 5000 Managing Director, BAE Systems" International 0
MoD_RSS News story: New offshore patrol vessel named HMS Trent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy's first new Offshore Patrol Vessel formally named MoD News 0
memorialstovalour Royal Research Vessel name poll Diamond Lil's 58
MoD_RSS News story: Work begins on third Royal Navy Patrol Vessel MoD News 0
matt93 favourite Vessel? The Quarterdeck 50
soleil Southern Echo: "HMS Dragon Sanctioned To Track Russian Vessel Off Scottish Waters" The Fleet 6
soleil GBC: "Spanish Survey Vessel Defies Navy To Spend Over Seven Hours In Gibraltar Waters Bases / Shore Est 32
soleil Edinburgh Ev News: "Another String To Capital’s Bow As Navy Training Vessel Sails In" SCC and URNU 0
soleil North West Evening Mail: "Sailor Heads Vessel In Bid For A Ship-Shape Olympics" SCC and URNU 0
soleil Western Morning News: "Chance To See Antarctic Patrol Vessel In Dartmouth" The Fleet 0
trelawney126 RN Board Italian Vessel taken by Somali Pirates Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy detains fishing vessel with illegal nets Current Affairs 1
soleil thisissouthwales.co.uk: "Navy Vessel Safeguards Sailors From Explosions" The Fleet 0
trelawney126 Refit for Dunkirk Vessel History 1
MoD_RSS Royal Navy patrol ship catches and fines vessel for overfishing Current Affairs 2
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "Gib Base Supports RN Vessel En Route To Libya" Bases / Shore Est 0
trelawney126 Former Naval vessel raised from Cattewater Current Affairs 0
soleil Scotsman: Huge Navy Vessel Docks In Capital After £37m Refit RFA 5
soleil D. Record: Sub Captain defends £1bn vessel despite problems Submariners 4
soleil Gib. Chronicle: Guardia Vessel forces RN to abandon exercise Current Affairs 8
Seaweed Log of merchant seaman after U-boat sank vessel Current Affairs 0
EX_STAB Modern vessel performance compared with WW1 types. The Fleet 81
The_Chief_Wizzum How do you tell what vessel a shipmate belongs to? Submariners 16
Tas-ape NEW AMERICAN VESSEL???? The Quarterdeck 7