US Top Gun Academy set up by British Pilots

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
#2
Oil_Slick said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/5032158/American-Top-Gun-fighter-pilot-academy-set-up-by-British.html

The Seppos keep that quite, don't they. :p
WHat surprised me more, was that the WAFUs had kept it quiet too! :)
 
#3
FlagWagger said:
Oil_Slick said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/5032158/American-Top-Gun-fighter-pilot-academy-set-up-by-British.html

The Seppos keep that quite, don't they. :p
WHat surprised me more, was that the WAFUs had kept it quiet too! :)
:wink: :wink: WAFUs dont like to brag :oops: :oops: We still have our Top Gun Chockhead living at Lossie :wink: :wink: Here is a 764 sqdn Hunter on the line at Lossie. Ps Lossie vetrans open day is 27th May. http://usera.ImageCave.com/scouse/xf300-lm-190769-ab(1).jpg
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#5
This amused me; from Clarkson's column from last week's Sunday Times:

Jeremy Clarkson said:
...According to Rowland White’s amazing new book "Phoenix Squadron: HMS Ark Royal, Britain's last Topguns and the Untold Story of Their Most Dramatic Mission", when the first four Brits were sent to the new Top Gun academy in California, they didn’t much care for the “Maverick†and “Iceman†style of call sign adopted by their American counterparts. But their hosts insisted, so they came up with “Cholmondleyâ€, “Dogbreathâ€, “Alien†and “Spasticâ€...
:lol:
 
#7
Joint_Force_Harrier said:
Always like secrets, bit like Off Airstation pay when you go on board!!
Sorta like Airfield Allowance, (AA), then!!

There was a documentary years back about the top gun school. And the US pilots hated the way our fighters never flew a straight and level flight path. Evidently it made it dificult for surface operators to manually track the aircraft on their runs!!! :roll:
 
#8
Waspie said:
Joint_Force_Harrier said:
Always like secrets, bit like Off Airstation pay when you go on board!!
Sorta like Airfield Allowance, (AA), then!!

There was a documentary years back about the top gun school. And the US pilots hated the way our fighters never flew a straight and level flight path. Evidently it made it dificult for surface operators to manually track the aircraft on their runs!!! :roll:
Think I saw the same one, septics getting a right stress on when 2 Buccaneers came at them :)
 
#9
WreckerL said:
Waspie said:
Joint_Force_Harrier said:
Always like secrets, bit like Off Airstation pay when you go on board!!
Sorta like Airfield Allowance, (AA), then!!

There was a documentary years back about the top gun school. And the US pilots hated the way our fighters never flew a straight and level flight path. Evidently it made it dificult for surface operators to manually track the aircraft on their runs!!! :roll:
Think I saw the same one, septics getting a right stress on when 2 Buccaneers came at them :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Buccaneers would be involved in later Red Flags through 1983, and in 1979 also participated in the similar Maple Flag exercise over Canada. The Buccaneer proved extremely impressive with its fast low-level attacks, which were highly accurate despite the aircraft's lack of terrain-following radar and other modern avionics. They were able to penetrate adversary defenses, and in fact were credited with "kills" on defending fighters using Sidewinder air-to-air missiles.
 
#10
Waspie said:
Joint_Force_Harrier said:
Always like secrets, bit like Off Airstation pay when you go on board!!
Sorta like Airfield Allowance, (AA), then!!
There was a documentary years back about the top gun school. And the US pilots hated the way our fighters never flew a straight and level flight path. Evidently it made it dificult for surface operators to manually track the aircraft on their runs!!! :roll:
I was only giving the cods a little snippet of our allowances, now you have given the game away!!!! :D
 

Latest Threads

Top