US to offer UK an aircraft carrier

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by ElQuesoGrande, Aug 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Janes Article Cover

At the above link (you won't be able to access more than the cover story unless you are a member of Janes; I saw this at work) the story is about how the RN has sent a large amount of pilots for training on the US carriers / FA-18s, suggesting we will get a cat / arrest carrier.

The last paragraph suggests that the US is going to offer the Royal Navy one of its carriers as it draws down from a carrier fleet of 12 to 10 in the next 2 years. Janes can't say whether or not this would be a Nimitz (nuclear) CV or the USS Kitty Hawk which is currently in extended readyness and is conventionally powered (albeit 49 years old).

Janes is normally a pretty steady reliable publication, but I think the bit about us getting a US carrier is poppycock; how are we meant to find about 5000 people to man the thing for a start? Plus, the big US carriers have NEVER been able to go alongside any naval base in the UK (as far as I remember anyhow). The Nimitz class are about 100,000 ton and the Kitty Hawk about 85,000; both far larger than the new carriers we're having built.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it to be true, but that story is something I'd have expected to see in the Sun, not Janes Defence Weekly,,,,,,,,,,

2. Janes is normally a pretty steady reliable publication, but I think the bit about us getting a US carrier is poppycock; how are we meant to find about 5000 people to man the thing for a start? Plus, the big US carriers have NEVER been able to go alongside any naval base in the UK (as far as I remember anyhow). The Nimitz class are about 100,000 ton and the Kitty Hawk about 85,000; both far larger than the new carriers we're having built.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it to be true, but that story is something I'd have expected to see in the Sun, not Janes Defence Weekly,,,,,,,,,,[/quote]

Leaving Pompey one afternoon in the mid 70's. The OOW came over the tannoy and said, If you look for'd you will see the USS Nimitz by the Round Tower..We looked up at it!!!!

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I remember Nimitz anchoring in Spithead for a visit. Took a boat trip round her for a look-see.

btw the Kittyhawk is known to some in the USN as the shitty Kitty. A huge amount of adaptation of the ship and retraining of personnel would be needed to use her, even if we were allowed the manpower.

4. Got grippoed and shown round the Nimitz in about 76ish when she was at the Spithead. The guys that showed us round were in charge of the ships video and TV channels. That's it, no duties, no watches, just worked the bloody VCR machine.

Had a great visit, untill back ashore that night, and Tab Hunter decided to nick and leggit with our grippoes Nimitz bomber jacket complete with wallet and zippo and ID. It's amazing how quickly the "special relationship" turned into a free for all fist fight in the Ship Leopard :D

5. Yep, '76 it was, my first ship, Lowestoft just got back from the US for the bicentenial

6. There is no way the US is going to offer the UK a nuclear carrier and even if they did the cost of overhauling it and manning it would be ridiculous.

The US conventional carriers are in a crap state and would be equally ridiculous.

This is probably just a misintrepretation of initial trials etc.... to get ready for the Queen Elizabeths

7. What they MAY mean is to let the RN use one of their non-operational carriers as a dedicated training platform - though even that sounds a bit Walter Mitty-ish - may just have to accept that Janes has cocked up!

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The US used a coal-fired one on the Great Lakes during WW2 (USS Wolverene) for deck-landing training - maybe that's the one.

9. Maybe just simply, a way of getting experience for ops on the 'new' carrier, that we have been hearing about....for decades

10. I've heard they are going to dig Kings Lynn harbour deeper to get it in there? Gen Dit :)

11. If true it's only because the US see the UK as mugs and want to palm off some of their 'past the sell by date' junk to an easy buyer.

12. Yeah just like we do with our gash to the third world maybe we have just sneaked into that category,has anyone told Dave :oops: . :wink:

13. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Not that they have previous in that department.... it won't cost much, just the Isle of Wight......

14. If it's one of the nukes, it might be worth it. The nuke carriers get lots of money for maintenance of all kinds, and even though one wouldn't be in "like new" condition, it would probably still have considerable service life remaining. With the budget problems we have looming, it may be a fire sale kind of deal.

As for Kitty, don't even consider it. Think "Varyag".

15. the us also send pilots over here to train landing the harrier on the ark royal et al. they also send over marines to do the all arms commando course even though thay can't wear the green lid, fleshes or keep the title commando.

it's all about cross training between the two countries really.

16. Developing silverfox's point, we'd have to gash a perfectly good T22 to release a suitable name for it; CAMPBELTOWN.

17. I would say its more likely we wend a group of blokes over to the US and we exercise on there carrier. While its still being operated by th USN.

18. Would love that to Happen, but it would be a dream to far !!! for the FAA of today :cry: to man a Nimitz class ,as it boasts a 2,400 air wing and 80 a/c and choppers onboard compliment. Ps it would be no use to just send pilots and observers over the pond, for Cat/Wire training :wink: With out sending over the most important part of the crew ie FDOs Chockheads, Badgers, bombheads, etc etc .[​IMG]

19. Perhaps they'll offer an LHA from the Tarawa class, that would make more sense. About twice the displacement of the invincible class with approximately the same complement and able to operate Harriers; might make for a decent replacement of Ocean - though would require more crew.

20. :lol: Maybe but Harriers are history, the booties could have some fun with their hovercrafts aft [​IMG] [​IMG]