US submarines with wheels

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Stephen_Dee, Sep 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was watching somethink the other day about subs in the cold war & they talked about a US submarine that could drive along the sea floor.

Iv tryed to google it but carnt find anythink anyone herd of it or could tell me the name ? cheers

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

[​IMG]

3. Was it the NR 51 ? Something about it in a recent SKY programme perhaps ?

4. I didn't realise that Pedallos constituted a Naval vessel. :dwarf:
    My local park used to have bumper boats, until the Labour led council scrapped them 8 years ago, bloody peaceniks. Leaving Dunners undefended and at the mercy of the Yellow peril........
    ENTER NURSEY " That's enough now dear, back into bed with you."

5. Whats that got to do with the question :D ill keep looking on the net :) untill i find a link to post here :D

6. The US 'research' submarine NR1. THis link gives the official story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NR-1

However the boat was constructed for cold war special operations and research was a cover used to justify the budget. 'Dark Waters' by Lee Vyborny tells the story.

7. I think you'll find your question has already been answered, if you can be bothered to read all the replies. If you are still searching, try Caroline Chouest.

8. Cheer for the NR1 link, got a few mates that said i was talking out of my arse :) but now i have some proof.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's a joke! I thought you lot had a sense of humour? S'what I thought when I did saw some of the horrors on MQ Rounds in Faslane... :wink:

10. This is the only one I could think of... :hockey:

[​IMG]