US Submariners die in Plymouth.

Very, very sad. A good reminder that you dont have to be in a war zone (Although, Plymouth these days, it's arguable) to be in danger.

Stand easy fellas :(

Anther two left on their "Last Patrol" a sad day.

They were not the first to be goffered off the casing. 1967 we lost Sub Lt Campbell off the casing of Truncheon as we left the Tyne. Body recovered 3 months later. We also had an AB go off the aft casing in the Solent but he was quickly recovered and returned by a yacht only soggy and shocked.

Nutty

Bergen

ADC
Nutty said:
Anther two left on their "Last Patrol" a sad day.

They were not the first to be goffered off the casing. 1967 we lost Sub Lt Campbell off the casing of Truncheon as we left the Tyne. Body recovered 3 months later. We also had an AB go off the aft casing in the Solent but he was quickly recovered and returned by a yacht only soggy and shocked.

Nutty

Know what you mean Nutty we had 4 booties washed off the casing during a submerged lock-out practice in the Gareloch; only one made it to surface. Fleet Clearance Diving Team picked the 3 bodies up from the seabed 2 days later.

RM

dt018a9667

War Hero
R.I.P. lads.

Re the reporting, I had news 24 on last night and it was pathetic, a reporter from outside the area (don’t think I’ve seen him before) standing on the Hoe during the night in that weather for affect and wondering why they could get little information for Christ sake its an American SSN therefore technically the incident took place on American and you know what they are like with anything to do with nuclear boats and accidents and anything to do with health and safety down here.

Seadog

War Hero
The HMCS/m Chicoumiti story ( October 2004) on Sky or maybe it was BBC News 24 was one of those times where the power of the media dipped big time. There was 'Telly World' and reality.

Journos hate it when they are excluded. I love it when journos are excluded. Sorry, you do not have a right to know everything and we are not giving you a lift in a helo to the scene.

I'm surprised they are not making stuff up this time too.

----------------------

Edited to remove an extra zero from '20004'. Wireless keyboards! :mad:

US Sub CO reassigned

from Plymouth Herald::
US SUB CAPTAIN REASSIGNED AFTER DEATHS
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list
The US Navy has removed the commander of a nuclear submarine that was involved in a fatal incident off the coast of Plymouth, England.

On December 29, rough seas swept four American sailors from the deck of the submarine off Plymouth.

The USS Minneapolis-St Paul was leaving Plymouth harbour when the sailors were knocked into the water by surging waves.

The four men were taken to hospital in Plymouth, where two were pronounced dead. According to officials, a Navy investigation determined that the incident was avoidable and due in part to a poor decision by the commander.

He was identified by a Navy statement as Cmdr Edwin Ruff.

According to the Navy, Ruff has been reassigned to a position ashore. The decision was made by Vice Adm. Chuck Munns, commander of the Navy's Submarine Force.

"Munns took this action due to a loss of confidence in Ruff's ability to command," said the service statement.

Earlier this week, Ruff and another officer on the submarine received letters of reprimand.

The Navy did not provide further details on the findings of its investigation.

The submarine's executive officer Lieutenant Commander Peter Young has been reprimanded. Charges were considered against three other sailors but they were dismissed.

Senior Chief Thomas Higgins, 45, from Kentucky, and Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael Holtz, 30, from Ohio, died following the incident.

The Minneapolis-St Paul, assigned to the 6th Fleet, had just completed a weeklong layover in Plymouth.

Based in Norfolk, Virginia, the sub was heading to sea for routine duties when the accident happened.

merlin

i had met some of the submariners of that boat and had a good few bevvies over christmas they didn't even have a clue where they were heading just knew they were going out on said date.

when we go at least we have some idea what we have planned although we are still kept in the dark

the press should mind there own t*****s

rip guys

Latest Threads