US sub attacked in Arctic

Attacked by Polar Bears that is. These pics were sent to me by an old shipmate still on active duty in the USN. They purport to be from the USS HONOLULU (Los Angeles-class fast attack submarine) at the Arctic Circle, 280 miles from the North Pole. The black & white pic was taken through the boats periscope.

Caption for first pic, bear at the back :- Ok, I accept it's the biggest seal I've ever seen, but.... now you've caught it wot yer gonna do with it.

Ops...Controller
Ops.......
Loud crunching noise on the bow....no good bearings. Sounds close!
Controller...Ops......ice or similiar....?
Ops....Controller....not heard this one before....suggest teeth.

The ice can be so loud at about three kilohertz, it sounds like an orchestra tuning up for a performace at the Proms. Then the conductor says 'ahh sod it, tea break'. Have you heard a cross cut saw being played with a violin bow....that's what the ice sounds like in the MIZ as it gets squeezed together by the wind. It used to mark on 2007 as a grade three contact (Searcher to the more modern of us) in patterns called 'Badgers noses'.
What a racket....it's a wonder the neighbours don't complain! Listening to it for three months at a time (whilst crewing the boat directly above this message) tends to drive you a tiny bit doolally. I love the sound now though....memories!

Caption for 2nd piccy... I see what you mean Barney, I wonder what the wifes gonna say when I drop this in her lap.... She only wanted a couple of fillets whist I was in Iceland...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
skyvet Nautical Jokes 18
TonyN Nautical Jokes 2
M Submariners 83