US sub attacked in Arctic

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Grape_Shot, Jul 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attacked by Polar Bears that is. These pics were sent to me by an old shipmate still on active duty in the USN. They purport to be from the USS HONOLULU (Los Angeles-class fast attack submarine) at the Arctic Circle, 280 miles from the North Pole. The black & white pic was taken through the boats periscope.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

'Attacking Polar Bears'? Hmm, look more like 'curious' ones to me... :roll:
  3. Nice pics...looks like their looking for a ride back :thumright:
  4. Caption for first pic, bear at the back :- Ok, I accept it's the biggest seal I've ever seen, but.... now you've caught it wot yer gonna do with it.
  5. Or how about; "They're the first Russian Bears I've seen without props! look like the ASW type too"!!!
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

UW1 to SC: "Contact - green 20, range fuggin' close. Multiple echoes on the bearing!"

7. Ops...Controller
    Loud crunching noise on the good bearings. Sounds close! or similiar....?
    Ops....Controller....not heard this one before....suggest teeth.
  8. Not surprising though. Big black thing appears through the ice and messes up their environment ... I think I'd be curious too.

9. The ice can be so loud at about three kilohertz, it sounds like an orchestra tuning up for a performace at the Proms. Then the conductor says 'ahh sod it, tea break'. Have you heard a cross cut saw being played with a violin bow....that's what the ice sounds like in the MIZ as it gets squeezed together by the wind. It used to mark on 2007 as a grade three contact (Searcher to the more modern of us) in patterns called 'Badgers noses'.
    What a's a wonder the neighbours don't complain! Listening to it for three months at a time (whilst crewing the boat directly above this message) tends to drive you a tiny bit doolally. I love the sound now though....memories!
  10. Lead Polar Bear 'Bloody typical, all this way for tinned food and we forgot the tin opener'
  11. Second Polar Bear...Clarkson looks like he means business this time!
  12. 3rd Polar Bear - Fcuk, I hate Clarkson, lets eat him. Whos got the ketchup ?
  13. All together 'Hammond for duff'
  14. Bump - this is lovely

15. :thumright: Best caption so far...
  16. 1st Bear 'Fcuking typical, come all this way out here to enjoy the beauty of nature and some sod has dumped their trash'
  17. Well thank you WM :w00t:
  18. Caption:

First bear: See I told you so, Spam is canned meat.
  19. Caption for 2nd piccy... I see what you mean Barney, I wonder what the wifes gonna say when I drop this in her lap.... She only wanted a couple of fillets whist I was in Iceland...