US Propose New African Command

At present Africa is the reponsibility (depending on which country in Africa) of either USEUCOM or USCENTCOM. Both are 4 star combatant commanders. Sounds like they may be considering a reorganisation.

Seadog

War Hero
At present Africa is the reponsibility (depending on which country in Africa) of either USEUCOM or USCENTCOM.
Not Bob Geldof or Bono then?

If the US are increasing their ability to intervene in Africa (if that's what the proposed command is about) it may be to do with the increasing Chinese commercial activity on the continent. If the US feel that the Chinese may want a military foothold, they'll want to be there first.

The Americans plan ahead.

Seadog said:
At present Africa is the reponsibility (depending on which country in Africa) of either USEUCOM or USCENTCOM.
Not Bob Geldof or Bono then?

If the US are increasing their ability to intervene in Africa (if that's what the proposed command is about) it may be to do with the increasing Chinese commercial activity on the continent. If the US feel that the Chinese may want a military foothold, they'll want to be there first.

The Americans plan ahead.
Good for them.

They are already there, have been for years and have an engagement plan for all countries in all their theatres which cover the whole world - they aint stupid.

Seadog said:
Do you have a link that cuts to the chase PNG? Looks like a work up otherwise. Thanks.
At present nothing solid. Had a snoop about the BBC World Service and Africa sections, nothing there. The bloke was talking about the reorganisation of the USCOM areas so the Africa wasn't straddled by USEURCOM and USPACCOM and CENTCOM. I'll have a look around on some of the US sites and see what I can find but there is quite likely going to be a shift in those waters.

F169 said:
They are already there, have been for years and have an engagement plan for all countries in all their theatres which cover the whole world - they aint stupid.
I would refine that to they are not stupid about everything.