US Propose New African Command

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by persona_non_grata, Jan 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just heard on the Beeb that the US is "actively considering" setting up a new command for Africa under a 4*. Only link I can find is to the article discussing said thing BBC World Today Select page 08-01-07
    Any thoughts?

2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Do you have a link that cuts to the chase PNG? Looks like a work up otherwise. Thanks.

3. At present Africa is the reponsibility (depending on which country in Africa) of either USEUCOM or USCENTCOM. Both are 4 star combatant commanders. Sounds like they may be considering a reorganisation.

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Not Bob Geldof or Bono then?

If the US are increasing their ability to intervene in Africa (if that's what the proposed command is about) it may be to do with the increasing Chinese commercial activity on the continent. If the US feel that the Chinese may want a military foothold, they'll want to be there first.

The Americans plan ahead.

5. Good for them.

6. They are already there, have been for years and have an engagement plan for all countries in all their theatres which cover the whole world - they aint stupid.

7. At present nothing solid. Had a snoop about the BBC World Service and Africa sections, nothing there. The bloke was talking about the reorganisation of the USCOM areas so the Africa wasn't straddled by USEURCOM and USPACCOM and CENTCOM. I'll have a look around on some of the US sites and see what I can find but there is quite likely going to be a shift in those waters.

8. As for the BBC World Services link, the relevant interview is about 5:45min into the piece.

PNG

9. Right...after a bit of trawling through the Pentagon, the US Army pages, and the State Department, eventually found an article on wiki: Wikipedia article which cites some links and sources. No notices and/or announcements on any of the US sites that I could see, so I'd assume that they're waiting for the correct moment to announce it to the world properly.

PNG

10. I would refine that to they are not stupid about everything.