US Navy refit accommodation?

Lemacque

Badgeman
This is a story from today's paper. Do the Elmers actually live onboard during a long refit? Having been accommodated in some 'interesting' shoreside buildings over my career, none could compare with actually being onboard for - what - two or three years? It was bad enough being duty - remember the night heads (emptying of) or the alongside galley / muck on a truck?

Here's the tragic story:
I know for the ssbn they do, crew retain op con during the extended refit. Spoken to a few of them, and it is v tedious.

Plimsoll

Badgeman
This surprised me. We had a Submarine Refit Standby Team (SRST). It was made up of personnel who were on a rest period from operational deployment that weren't due for courses or training as well as personnel temporarily medically unfit for sea duty. They had offices and a mess room in the refit shed.

The members all worked daylight hours and a rostered duty watch worked nights and weekends for test witnessing and sentry duties. The living in members were accommodated at the submarine base accommodation while the living out members went home after hours if not required for test witnessing or duty watch.

Welding, burning and grinding operations were authorised by chit by the SRST and a fire watch provided by them. Dangerous trials such as electrical power trials were always done at night when few were around.

I also worked in the offshore oil industry and there the Yank vessels had the worst internet, phones and accommodation. Their food was good but no fresh midnight meal like the rest had, just leftovers. The best for everything were the Noggies and Danes with the Frogs a close second. But working with Frogs is a different experience.

So the Yanks seem to be a bit different when it comes to crew comforts.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
On yank boats on jollies the ships company live onboard and they stay flashed up, no Plant State A and straight to the hotel.

Plimsoll

Badgeman
Ever been down a Yank boat? IF they would let you onboard! Spartan, as in pretty basic, not SSN, springs to mind.

I missed the chance when USS San Juan visited. I have been on board a Perry class frigate and Ticonderoga class cruiser but never got to the accommodation spaces.

Plimsoll

Badgeman
I had a great run ashore with HMS Norfolk's crew and a great time in the mess of HMS Chatham and FGS Augsberg during an RPC when they visited. One of my colleagues couldn't find his way out of Augsberg and slept in a rope locker. He was discovered at sea the next day...

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Most NATO ships are great to go down for a jolly. The problem is that the Elmers are far too worried about 'Secret stuff' - they over classify everything greatly. All their BRs are 'Confidential'making them a pain in the arrse to use/maintain/store. Then, if you get onboard (a boat) they won't show you anything, so you arrive in the Chief's mess...... fancy a coffee?

Also pretty cramped, as all pipes and stuff we have outside, under the casing, is inside.