US exemption letter required

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Strayedwolf, May 6, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am hoping there is someone who has experienced something similar and can help...

I am a Dual national citizen (i.e. I was born in the US but live in England, UK) I am required to provide confirmation that I am covered by the UK/USA protocol agreement exempting me from military service with the American armed forces.

I have contacted the US embassy London on multiple occasions and subsequently been in contact with numerous departments such as the Selective Service System and internal embassy departments. Unfortunately, no success thus far.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Best I can do here is bump.

4. You are joking? I'm sure I saw something on the telly recently about dual citizenship.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. StrayedWolf

The best advisor on this will be the Rum Ration member called Ninja_Stoker. He might see this and reply, but you can always send him a PM

He has years of experience in recruiting for the Royal Navy.

6. @Madden96 's horse has died and is unable to give any advice on this matter.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Just sign up for selective service like the rest of the American born males over 18.
    Not like your ever going to be drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

9. Wow that link has a lot of info.
    Mind you one recent change is the requirement to deal with he passport office via Washington DC.
    This is all now dealt with directly via the UK.
    An oppo over here recently applied for his renewal via UK. Turnaround time was a couple of weeks and a lot cheaper than the DC process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Spot-on, thank you - I'll edit that bit.