US defence policy compared to ours

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by chockhead819, Feb 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reversing previous administration thinking, President Bush said last month that the military should be larger.

One of Gates' first major decisions upon replacing Rumsfeld in December was to recommend that the Army's troop strength be increased by 65,000 Soldiers, to a total of 547,000 worldwide and that the Marines grow by 27,000 to 202,000. They have increased defence spending by a third, we have cut ours and in the UK, we fight the war on terrorism by slashing next years defence budget by £1 billion, "restructuring" the army so people who have been in Iraq with one unit are being put in "new" regiments & are being deployed again, Cutting ships & plane numbers.
  2. Wait till the democrats get in. Hillary or Obama won't be spending anything like that much. Note that USN have managed to get congress to agree to let them retire JFK (CV67) as she's in sh1t state and costing a fortune. Their airwings are also getting older and older. The USN is in real trouble despite what they're spending.

Of course not of this make Bliar and Brown's ludicrous attempt to fight two wars on the lowest peacetime budget since the 30s any less f8ckwitted.....
  3. and I believe that their airwings are getting smaller, though still impressive by anyone else's standards...
  4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

The USN may be in a shit state but they have managed to establish an aviation contract which ensures 325 aircraft will be brought into service each year for the next ten years to replace their ageing air capability!
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

not a boffin wrote

You've been on JFK recently in order to come to that conclusion? Yes, a life extension would cost a fortune compared with a down payment on a shiny new carrier and can't be justified for sentimental reasons.
  6. They'll need to - if thats true. They've only bought 110 fast jets in the last three years, the rest are V22 and Helos needed to replace the Sea knights. 30-odd a/c a year is not going to help the average age of their CVW fleet.

I assume the 325 a year refers to F35. If they manage that, BZ all round, but I suspect that figure refers to the overall deliveries of 35A for the AF, 35B for the USMC and us and the 35C for USN. I repeat, they are in serious trouble, but at least their pollies seem to understand this unlike ours who appear to have no conception that kit wears out with increased use and needs to be replaced.......
  7. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I think you are right, the 325 refers to all aircraft replacement, I have searched tinternet but can't find a link, I read the article at work last week so I will try to confirm next week.
  8. I omitted to add the more important bit - our pollies have no conception that people wear out and need relieving before they start on the kit.

9. The USA is also $8.5 Trillion in debt and China and Japan are the main lenders. There is nothing bought by the USN from uniforms to aircraft that isn't being paid for by increasing the US debt to China. In fact the Pentagon has just released it's budget request for FY 2007.....$622.6 billion. That little 0.6 on the end looks fairly insignificant until you translate it out to $600,000,000.

10. if only our pratts would put in that increase it would be a start. Whats going to happen to the junglies/harriers,chinooks,pumas,herky birds that are knackered now with all the extra work, I mean the junglies must be at least 25. Whats going to replace them & more importantly when.
  11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

read a very interesting article, at the hieght of the NI troubles,there was 78 helicopters in Ireland, there are now 13 in Iraq, I'm doing this by memory but I'm only about 5 out either way, Makes you think how much these buggers have scrimped.......sorry for the spelling.
  12. What do you expect from the Labour Party which has, IMO, an ideological hatred for the armed forces.