Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

US Brown Job Mouths off about the Iran Incident

During the engagement several thoughts crossed my mind:

How will this incident be perceived, given that Syria is an enemy of the United States?

Will my decisions escalate poor relations between two sworn enemies?

Will attacking and taking the offense, given my enemies' numerical and fire superiority, get my men killed or kill the enemy?

Well what the gobshiite seems to have missed is that crucial term 'enemy'…

Last time I checked we were not at war with Iran and retain Diplomatic Relations.

WJ_Poo_Pong_McPlop said:
I choked on my frosties yesterday when reading this and thought you all might like to see how the good name of the Navy and Marines is being trashed in Texas.

http://www.star-telegram.com/242/story/64570.html

I think the link expires after a week and I don't know the forum rules about cutting and pasting copyrighted material.

Is that a news article or the first page of his "best selling action hero" book. He even think Felix Carmen is a Royal Marine, good research!

"I ordered my machine gunners to return fire"...or some such twaddle...lucky man he had some machine guns, something that the boarding party didn't.

A well thought out and thoroughly researched article. The man is a credit to the Yanks. If only we had that quality of journalism in this country!

The RN/RM were on water NOT in the middle of a sand pit
The RN/RM were grabbed in day light not middle of the night (04:00??)

And as previous posts, the RIBS didnt have radar and according to reports the Iranians came up on the blind side or do the RM guys now have x-ray vision ?

I also wonder if those brave yanks had air support on call, overheard AWACS cover, artillery support, Buger King and or Big Macs on rapid response, bowling alley and cinema

I would truly love to see the yanks in a similar situation and to see the response. What would be the US response at home if they didnt fight back and were grabbed ??? All out assault on Iran maybe??

What if they did fight back and were all killed - all out assault on Iran as realiation perhaps???

WJ_Poo_Pong_McPlop said:
It's a pile of pants, full of errors, written by a trigger happy septic. Do RIB's even have radar?

Not a serving member of the forces ?

"popped up on ... radar" is an eupemism for suddenly seeing/noticing something - doesn't mean that the things actually had radar fitted - but you never know with these modern RIB thingys
:)

ukdaytona said:
I would truly love to see the yanks in a similar situation and to see the response. What would be the US response at home if they didnt fight back and were grabbed ??? All out assault on Iran maybe??

Well if we were being bitchy we could remind our trans-atlantic cousins of these incidents…

USS Peublo

US Embassy siezed in Tehran

3 US Army bods 'detained' by Yugoslavs

US Navy EP-3 forced down by China

Nope, thought so, they didn't fight in those incidents either… :?

whitemouse said:
WJ_Poo_Pong_McPlop said:
It's a pile of pants, full of errors, written by a trigger happy septic. Do RIB's even have radar?

Not a serving member of the forces ?

"popped up on ... radar" is an eupemism for suddenly seeing/noticing something - doesn't mean that the things actually had radar fitted - but you never know with these modern RIB thingys
:)

The radar statement in the article is in quotation marks. I took that to mean that the author is saying that these are Lt Carman's words.

Quote 'we came under intense fire from the Syrian side of the border'

The difference is that our guys didn't come under fire and we don't usually shoot first. Not cricket old boy.

Quote 'Syria is an enemy of the United States'

Really? well we are not at war with Iran and therefore don't start shooting at them without first being shot at.

Quote 'My soldiers and I were awarded medals for valor because, while executing our mission, we stood our ground on our side of the border and returned fire against an overwhelming enemy force.

Bravo, and so you should have been, because YOU WERE FIRED UPON.

Added to the ones you got for passing out of basic training and for crossing the atlantic and for standing the longest in the BX queue.

P2 standing by for incoming (which I will of course return)

It's painful for any service when this happens. If you're in another service, critique comes easily. As disappointed as I was about this whole affair, it reminded me of my service's own painful incidents; the P-3 that landed on a Chinese airfield instead of ditching, the USS Pueblo, and USS Liberty. No service has a monopoly on mishandled incidents. Hopefully this sad affair will be a wakeup call for all of us.

Quite clearly Luis Carlos Montalván has failed to find out the true facts of the incident before shooting his mouth off. Perhaps if he had led his own patrol some what more effectively he would not have been caught in an ambush that put the lives of his men at risk. As a mere captain I would suggest that he should pay more attention to his military studies than trying to earn a few dollars writing articles for the hick press or perhaps he will find he has reached the summitt of his military carreer

Latest Threads