URNUs

That's quite impressive, as it's almost impossible to be kicked out of an URNU apparently - there's something like a 6 stage process with a year long timeframe, involving Admirals and all sorts. Much easier to "order a resignation"!

pioneer

Midshipman
One of the reasons for not having an URNU in Edinburgh is that it had a thriving RNR unit. Forth Division prefered all students to join the RNR proper, so they could get the full taste of the RN and RNR. We recruited many students into Forth division, a good many of them joined the RN after graduation, the rest remained with the RNR. We still get quite a few joining the RNR from the URNU. Everyone happy, no one loses.

I have not been kicked out of an URNU, but did cause someone else to be. This story will identify me clearly to those who were there:
"Was an RM sponsored undergraduate, went to an URNU p*ss up. Got p*ssed up. Went back to some bloke's house. Got naked. p*ssed in his kitchen sink (Someone else was already using the bath). Wlaked around campus naked for a bit. Next week got hauled in front of URNU CO. Bollocking all round. THe owner of the house was forced to leave his premises and was thrown out of the unit for "p*ssing in the sink"."

I feel i showed a serous lack of integrity in allowing some poor bloke to be kicked out of halls for my crime. I have kept quiet for 10 years but now it is time to come clean.

I am still in the RM. Still get naked. Still p*ss in sinks. Would still jump at the chance to stitch up any matelot.

Does this make me a bad person?

(A few years later i ended up back at the same uni in a recruiting job and got laid with some chick at the URNU - so Jim whatever you say URNUs are great!)

yeo_yeo

Midshipman
On a slightly less bitter/more comical note... I hear a few of the P2000s have run into... "trouble" over their easter deployment... I think one of the names mentioned was Archer.

Any comments/confirmations from the wilderness? :D

Scud

Badgeman
Regarding the issue of new URNUs, some of you may remember before Telic blew up, Ranger and Trumpeter were slated to be the URNU boats for new units in Edinburgh and Exeter. However, Iraq happened, and Pursuer and Dasher were stolen for force protection jobs in Cyprus, and Ranger and Trumpeter ended up just replacing them rather than starting new units.

As for the organisation as a whole, I really enjoyed my time in it, as did pretty much all of my oppo's, most of whom (about 75% of the year I joined with) are now full time RN officers.

As for the ethos of the URNU, the new Commander URNU has gone up front to say it should be a recruiting organisation - why waste it?

yeo_yeo said:
On a slightly less bitter/more comical note... I hear a few of the P2000s have run into... "trouble" over their easter deployment... I think one of the names mentioned was Archer.

I heard the same. In fact, I hear that the last month has been S232-tastic! Anyone with any dits?

Astronomican

Midshipman
Jim30 said:
The URNU are cadets in all but name. Don't confuse a bunch of drunken scruffy students with RNR personnel who do a real job.
And don't confuse said drunken scruffy students with Sea Cadets. :)

Financier

Oxford has produced a lot of lieutenants and i think 1/2 lieutenant commander so far? It only started in 1994 so time will tell.

As for me I may not be a captain of industry but I have made it to director of a hedge fund.

fangita

Badgeman
Financier said:
Oxford has produced a lot of lieutenants and i think 1/2 lieutenant commander so far? It only started in 1994 so time will tell.

As for me I may not be a captain of industry but I have made it to director of a hedge fund.
Half a Lt Cdr? Is that possible? So he's a "one and a quarter"! :wink:

yeo_yeo

Midshipman
geoffrey said:
yeo_yeo said:

I heard the same. In fact, I hear that the last month has been S232-tastic! Anyone with any dits?
Glad to hear my int was correct. I've also been reliably informed that an URNU event involving a merlin had to be called off as the Merlin was needed to rescue, by the coastguard, a bouncy castle floating down the humber :D.

On a more serious note...
Something I'm curious about is thus. The UOTC, although full of a lot of choppers, seem to follow a similar path of training to the TA commission system and they can in fact then be comissioned if they've ticked the boxes and can transfer directly to the TA with the same skill set, to the most part, as a Bde trained officer.

The URNU seems to hand out the comissions like candy... are they then held to the same comissioning standards as the RNR? Or are they merely a social club that goes for jollies in slightly warry tugboats?

hammockhead

Lantern Swinger
yeo_yeo said:
The URNU seems to hand out the comissions like candy... are they then held to the same comissioning standards as the RNR? Or are they merely a social club that goes for jollies in slightly warry tugboats?
None of the URNU students are commissioned.

yeo_yeo

Midshipman
Scud said:
Tis not honorary any more - they're now Mid RNR with their branch down as URNU.
So then they are comissioned.

So my original question stands, are they held to the same standards and training levels as that of the RNR?