URNU pay?

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by airborne_artist, Sep 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are URNU members paid these days? I remember that it was withdrawn on OTCs last October.

Miss AA #2 is off to uni shortly, and is thinking of trying a dark blue suit for size.
  2. It seems to be the case, AA. Bristol's website says:

"Whilst on duty members of the URNU, who hold the rank of Officer Cadets or Midshipman in the Royal Naval Reserve, are paid as such. Currently the daily rate of pay is £38-00 and the first year annual bounty is £146. Hence those who meet their minimum training commitment will earn around £950 or more in a typical year".
  3. Thanks Soleil - I'd seen that, but was hoping for something from the horse's mouth, as websites can be very out of date. I know that university OTCs went without pay for a while, but I think it was only til the end of the FY.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yup, unbeleivably perhaps, the URNU daily rate (£37.40) is still being paid.

Whether this continues beyond the SDSR is open to conjecture.
  5. I really don't get it, most people would do it for free as with the other societies etc at Uni? It is pretty time consuming, but then you get plenty for free and have a good time and are lucky enough to be part of it. One of my friends was in the UAS and learnt to fly, went to several museums, had a few lavish dinners a year, went on an ice-walking expedition, and summer camp and paid nothing; and got paid for doing these things! That is pretty crazy, if there was no wage, you would get people to actually wanted to join, rather than saw it as a good way to get money for doing fun things.

The email addresses are probably still current, in my experience units tend to be pretty quick at replying if you wanted info etc!