Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

URNU or UAS?

Rubix

Hello all!
I am hoping join the Royal Navy after university as a pilot. I was wondering whether it would be better to join the University Air Squadron (for flying experience) or URNU (for Naval experience), any thoughts/experiences/ tips would be much appreciated,
Thanks

lonestar

War Hero
Rubix said:
Hello all!
I am hoping join the Royal Navy after university as a pilot. I was wondering whether it would be better to join the University Air Squadron (for flying experience) or URNU (for Naval experience), any thoughts/experiences/ tips would be much appreciated,
Thanks

This very issue was discussed recently in the following thread:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=25025.html

Have a look through, my personal view would be join the URNU.

AntC

Lantern Swinger
Join the URNU.

I'd recommend the flying camp once you're in. It's essentially the Special Flying Award course syllabus. It's a two weeke xtravaganza on attachment with 727 NAS. Flying the grob tutors each day (either morning or afternoon) and in the session when you're not flying you visit the different areas of the station: dunker; fire station. different helicopter stations, Fleet Air Arm Museum, simulators, historic flight, black cats etc.

On a good week you could get 15ish hours flying in. On a bad week (weather) you'd still get 7 or 8 hours in.

Plus most URNUs are attached (amongst other things) to an NAS so you'll get to go flying with them from time to time. Plus randomly squadrons will invite groups of students for flights and trips. Plus it's not uncommon during deployments to do exercises with Lynxs.

Flying aside, URNU is great!

Powder

Lantern Swinger
AntC said:
Join the URNU.

I'd recommend the flying camp once you're in. It's essentially the Special Flying Award course syllabus. It's a two weeke xtravaganza on attachment with 727 NAS. Flying the grob tutors each day (either morning or afternoon) and in the session when you're not flying you visit the different areas of the station: dunker; fire station. different helicopter stations, Fleet Air Arm Museum, simulators, historic flight, black cats etc.

On a good week you could get 15ish hours flying in. On a bad week (weather) you'd still get 7 or 8 hours in.

Plus most URNUs are attached (amongst other things) to an NAS so you'll get to go flying with them from time to time. Plus randomly squadrons will invite groups of students for flights and trips. Plus it's not uncommon during deployments to do exercises with Lynxs.

Flying aside, URNU is great!
Do you know how tempting you have just made it for me to scrap FATs and AIB and start University and join a URNU hahaha! I always thought that if I went to uni (which I no longer plan to) then I would join the crabs UAS as I love flying and it seems the most benefitial to me. I was always under the impression (dont flame me) but the URNU just paraded around/marched and paddled around on dinghys haha. Apparently not!
Got to go, school is calling! :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BARNEYRNSM Does Service in the URNU/OTC/UAS go towards LSGC medals? SCC and URNU 13
R Royal Navy training while in URNU Joining the Royal Navy 9
J URNU medical Joining the Royal Navy 3
2 URNU and royal navy sports teams SCC and URNU 7
2 Medical delays/URNU/RNR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S RNR, RMR or URNU? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
C URNU New Entry Weekend SCC and URNU 2
L Possible to be URNU TO and in RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
G Joining URNU with (wrong) AS diagnosis Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Mr_Gillette RMR or URNU? RMR 2
L URNU to RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
C Reserves & URNU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
E Rejoining the URNU SCC and URNU 4
A RNR or URNU Question. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 13
S URNU and UOTC Dilemma SCC and URNU 4
Jammydodger URNU Medical, what to expect? Health & Fitness 3
B Bristol URNU run marathon for RN & RM Charity Charity 4
A URNU pay? SCC and URNU 4
Quickstick4 HMS Archer (Aberdeen URNU) on BBC1 SCC and URNU 5
CHOPSR Calling all ex Sussex URNU members & ex ships company Social & Reunions 0
I joining an URNU SCC and URNU 32
andyrik Nearest URNU SCC and URNU 24
A Vacancy for Training Officer at Cambridge URNU SCC and URNU 25
A Liverpool or Manchester URNU SCC and URNU 28
U RNR or URNU? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 10
K Trying to find an old Chops S URNU cox'n The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
C Glasgow & Strathclyde URNU SCC and URNU 1
F BMI and Eyesight for URNU SCC and URNU 13
D URNU or not SCC and URNU 6
Ninja_Stoker URNU Medicals SCC and URNU 7
F URNU - University Real Numpties Unit??? SCC and URNU 9
V New URNU Intake this year SCC and URNU 17
L Dear Birmingham URNU SCC and URNU 0
C URNU Gash or Not SCC and URNU 12
L URNU Summer Ball SCC and URNU 2
L URNU Eligibility SCC and URNU 2
Reservist-Monkey URNU TOs SCC and URNU 1
ciderjack Aberdeen URNU 40th Anniversary Dinner SCC and URNU 1
S Why is the URNU classed as RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 34
S URNU Wales Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
H URNU recruiting london SCC and URNU 14
crabtastic Bristol URNU 20th Anniversary Ball SCC and URNU 0
trehorn URNU V's RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 43
Reservist-Monkey Recruiting from URNU Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 17
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: DJI M600 Pro, UAS failed to follow controller inputs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Countering Drones: finding and neutralising small UAS threats MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl Bristow trial develops future protection against hostile UAS MoD News 0
U UAS from army-discharge Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8