Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by Rubix, Feb 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all!
    I am hoping join the Royal Navy after university as a pilot. I was wondering whether it would be better to join the University Air Squadron (for flying experience) or URNU (for Naval experience), any thoughts/experiences/ tips would be much appreciated,
  2. This very issue was discussed recently in the following thread:

Have a look through, my personal view would be join the URNU.
  3. Cheers, I had a search but couldn't find anything similar. Thanks for the link.
  4. Join the URNU.

I'd recommend the flying camp once you're in. It's essentially the Special Flying Award course syllabus. It's a two weeke xtravaganza on attachment with 727 NAS. Flying the grob tutors each day (either morning or afternoon) and in the session when you're not flying you visit the different areas of the station: dunker; fire station. different helicopter stations, Fleet Air Arm Museum, simulators, historic flight, black cats etc.

On a good week you could get 15ish hours flying in. On a bad week (weather) you'd still get 7 or 8 hours in.

Plus most URNUs are attached (amongst other things) to an NAS so you'll get to go flying with them from time to time. Plus randomly squadrons will invite groups of students for flights and trips. Plus it's not uncommon during deployments to do exercises with Lynxs.

Flying aside, URNU is great!
  5. Do you know how tempting you have just made it for me to scrap FATs and AIB and start University and join a URNU hahaha! I always thought that if I went to uni (which I no longer plan to) then I would join the crabs UAS as I love flying and it seems the most benefitial to me. I was always under the impression (dont flame me) but the URNU just paraded around/marched and paddled around on dinghys haha. Apparently not!
    Got to go, school is calling! :D