URNU medical

Hey guys, I’m heading of to uni in September and looking to join my local URNU unit. I’ve been trying to find out more about the joining process specifically the medical part as I had a migraine episode just over a year and a half ago and know that in the normal Navy medical you need to be 2 years free. From what I can gather the URNU medical is no where near as strict but the pint of it is to make sure you send a danger at sea.
I can’t find any proper document with medical limitations, just comments other people have made about the medical. From being a full medical assessment carried out by capita to literally as basic as a few questions to make sure you don’t have asthma or are overweight.
Doesn’t anyone know what the URNU medical is really like and if a migraine a year and ahead ago would be an issue?
Many thanks
Jop

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The URNU medical is the same as the regular medical however the unit CO can apply a bit of pragmatism because you are not employed in an operational seagoing capacity. In other words if you get struck down with another migraine or an attack of the vapours, Russia are unlikely to seize their opportunity and invade.

Then again, they aren't shy of using Novichok randomly and without penalty, so you never know ;)

Seriously though, the odds are, for that condition, the CO may declare he's willing to take you to sea on risk in an URNU capacity as long as the individual (you) accepts and understands that the condition is an outright bar to entry into the regular service under the current circumstances. That is to say, if accepted into the URNU, it cannot be used as an argument to pass the person fit for regular service until the full medical standards for entry are met in accordance with JSP950.

The URNU medical is the same as the regular medical however the unit CO can apply a bit of pragmatism because you are not employed in an operational seagoing capacity. In other words if you get struck down with another migraine or an attack of the vapours, Russia are unlikely to seize their opportunity and invade.

Then again, they aren't shy of using Novichok randomly and without penalty, so you never know ;)

Seriously though, the odds are, for that condition, the CO may declare he's willing to take you to sea on risk in an URNU capacity as long as the individual (you) accepts and understands that the condition is an outright bar to entry into the regular service under the current circumstances. That is to say, if accepted into the URNU, it cannot be used as an argument to pass the person fit for regular service until the full medical standards for entry are met in accordance with JSP950.
Thanks very much!
I do have a past with migraines but they are all several years apart and I have had scans done recently that all came back clear so guess all I can do is wait and see what action the CO is willing to take, hopefully let’s me in haha. Unless I do get a nasty Novichok poisoning

Cheers
JOP

JOP,

I can confirm that all potential URNU OCs conduct the same Medical as entrants to the RN but DO NOT conduct the initial Triage call with a nurse. Therefore, the right to appeal is slightly different. They are either made FIT for URNU, Temp Med Unfit (TMU) or Permanently Med Unfit (PMU). TMU, and, i believe, all PMU are then sent to the Service Medical Officer (Service Entry) (SMOSE) for a final decision. They will either uphold the PMU status or make the Fit ONLY for URNU, due to its unique status and nil requirement to go on operations etc.

Drop your potential URNU an email and their Coxn will be able to explain the process in more detail and will also get you on their radar prior to recruitment at Freshers.

LGU

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Jammydodger Health & Fitness 3
Ninja_Stoker SCC and URNU 7