URNU and UOTC Dilemma

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by Smuke, Oct 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

I have a slight problem regarding both the Sheffield UOTC and the Yorkshire URNU. I am currently in the process of applying to join Sheffield UOTC, with the selection weekend coming up at the end of this week.

Alongside the UOTC I also applied for Yorkshire URNU, with the interview tomorrow. However it is at the same location as the UOTC, therefore I am worried that as if I show up for a URNU interview the UOTC will think I'm not fully committed to the OTC (as they will see me walk in as they keep it open for people to fill in paperwork).

Need some advice as soon as possible!

Cheers

2. I was in the URNU so I can help with URNU questions but to be honest I'm not sure what you want people to say to your 'dilemma'. Either they notice you or they don't or were you hinting at the situation of passing OTC selection and URNU interview?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As a former coxswain of Oxford URNU, which was co-located with the UAS & UOTC, it was a frequent occurrence & not regarded as an issue.

Most Uni cadet organisations are over-subscribed & there's nothing stopping you applying for more than one as there's usually a reserve/shortlist anyhow. If offered both, you must accept one & notify the other as you cannot belong to more than one simultaneously.

Some of "my" URNU students wanted to join the Royal Marines and were given "associate" (unpaid) membership of the OTC so they could attend field training serials which was useful. The URNU, in my opinion was a great insight toward preparing for AIB & a good insight into the RN (& RM) but it's not essential and nor is it (har-de-har) a recruiting tool.

Enjoy!

4. TODAY
    Last year, 20-4-2011, http://www.navy-net.co.uk/joining-up-royal-navy-recruiting/60786-otc-navy.htmlOTC and the Navy the same OP, Smuke, posted

Deja vu? coincidence? Restarting at square one? Different Uni this year? Sock puppet? Or merely - WTFs going on???

I'm particularly curious purely because Smuke's Qs, and the responses, seem the same on both threads but are almost a whole year apart...

5. must.....resist....urge .......to..be....puerile.....