Upper Yardman Scheme

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jack!, Mar 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could offer any information with regards to the Upper Yardman scheme.

Is the scheme open to all rates, and all specs? I did hear somewhere that you need a degree to go in as WEO, is this correct?

Also as all candidates going through UY would have some service experience and therefore undergone basic at Raleigh, would that mean that the militarization phase of BRNC that direct entry candidates have to undergo would not in the UY itinerary, or are both processes exactly the same?

I understand as well that if you were to go through the UY scheme you would graduate from BRNC at a higher rank. Is this also right?

Sorry for such a lengthly question, I look forward to having some of these issues clarified.

Thanks in advance,

Jack!

2. I'm slightly confused why you're asking this - if you're in, your DO will provide you with this information; if you're not in then you're not eligible....

3. I see your point.

I go in in a few months. Unfortunately, I hadn't the UCAS points to go for direct access and I am not really in a position to obtain them. I decided (with the recommendation of the WO who interviewed me) to go in as a rating with a view to going for a commission at a later date.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the reply,

Jack!

4. Jack! - if you want to become an Officer, I would strongly recommend you get the UCAS points and do so straight away. Wanting to become a UY is fraught with difficulties, not least getting the recommend from your CO - it can take a good 18 months to earn this. To my mind, those 18 months could be spent outside, at college, getting ready for an AIB you know you take as opposed to waiting for someone else to give you the nod. Indeed, some COs (and I don't believe this is fair) are extremely reluctant to recommend people for UY....

5. Jack!

What do you have in the way of educational qualifications already?

6. Jack!
    Take it from someone who is going through the process right now; get the UCAS Points if it's the only thing holding you back and make the extra effort to get an officers application through.

7. Thanks For all the replies, as I said before though I'm in no position to gain these qualifications and I already have my date for entry as a rating.

Fetchit, are you going through direct access or UY?

Thanks again,

Jack!

8. My current qualifications are - 11 GCSEs A* - C and NVQ 2 but in no related subject.

9. So what are they in?
    Drama. kntting, media studies or are they good core subjects like Maths , English, languages or science subjects.

10. Jack!, what I'm about to say I said a few weeks ago to someone else. God knows I'm not the oracle but you need to think this through.

I obviously don't know why you're not in a position to get the UCAS points, but planning or in any way relying on going UY once you're in is a fool's bargain.

If you want to join the navy and will be happy as a rating, fine, crack on. It's a good life. If you want it to be a bridge to the quarterdeck then that's something to aim for, but you have to be prepared for it not to happen. You can be the most switched on guy in the world and it may not happen for you for years- if at all.

You have to be so good, streets ahead of all the competition, and have all the cards fall in your favour- supportive DO, supportive CO, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying it's impossible, but you can't join as a rating and plan to go UY, it just won't work as a mindset.

Go in thinking, this (rating) job is what I want to do, I want to do it well, and I am prepared to do it well for x years. I could make officer one day, but that's not the be all and end all. That way, you will do alright. What you want to do is not unachievable, but it's not a given, and you have to be prepared for that.

Hope that helps.

11. Jack!

What are you going in as and what are you hoping to progress to?

12. As someone who has been through the process, it's a fcuker! The total time from papers being raised to starting BRNC was just under 3 years, jumping through hoop after hoop. Worth it though.

If you want to be a WEO you do need a degree but if you complete the equivilent trade quals to that as a tiff (Foundation degree, which i think is what you get on completion of LET course)and pass the AIB you would then be put forward to the selection boards that would decide your fate. If they say yes you would then go to uni for a year to complete your degree then go to BRNC after that.

With regards to Mil training at BRNC you have to do the whole lot. The same as the direct entry civis, UY get no let offs.

Hope that helps

13. English language, English lit. maths, double science, Resistant materials technology, applied ICT (double), music and a BTEC worth 2 GCSEs

14. ET(WE) then hope to progress eventually to WEO

15. All good ones, so forget going in as a rating and do some A levels to get the UCAS points.
    You can probably do it in a year to eighteen months.
    As others have said, if you wish to be an officer then join as an officer.
    Best of luck whatever you decide.

16. Jack!, as a WE, I can firmly say, get your UCAS and go to Uni. Trying to go UY from ET(WE) is v hard, as effectively you are asking to RN to send you to Uni for a year before letting you become an Officer. I can only echo what they others have said (from the perspective of a DO) - getting selected as a UY is v hard work, and you shouldn't plan on achieving it......

17. I know this thread is a bit old now, but for the benefit of anyone else who has to acquire 180 UCAS points sharpish there is this :

Intensive A-Levels
    at a government funded college.

1. They take one year.

2. If you're on Job Seeker's Allowance you only pay concession fees (mine are about £40 each with the concession).

3. Colleges with many adult students tend to have nicely varied timetables for said courses.

4. It is NOT an alternative to doing the 2 year course. You will only be considered if you've done AS/A2 or similar before and they are convinced that you will be able to handle the intensive course this time round - my good GCSEs and new found motivation (RN Officer) did it for me. Otherwise think about how you will present yourself at the interview.

I could kick myself all day for not realising that this route existed sooner. I hope someone else manages to avoid unnecessary buggering about as a result of this information.

Regards,

HP

Edited for sausage fingers.