Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upper Body Fitness

Matt1993

Badgeman
Hi Guys,

Basically, my cardio is absolutely fine (i feel anyway) as i've been training for 10k/half marathons. Because of this i have neglected the weight section in the gym and my upper body strength definitely needs some work. I've spoken to the fitness instructors at my gym but they were about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Just wandering if anyone can offer some (sensible) advice and maybe some training routines for a novice?

Thanks!

busychris

Badgeman
Try one of the "100 push up"apps, on android I use one called "just 6 wks" it covers push ups, pull ups, sit ups, dips and squats so u could easily use it for a circuit session

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

busychris

Badgeman
Works for me and its a good way to track ya progress especially if u have low strength

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

Doppelganger

Midshipman
Those same apps have web sites as well, google can help you out. Done the push/sit ups and the squats one myself and they are brilliant! Cant see any trainer giving you those same results in six weeks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

OMM

War Hero
Just get yourself into the functional fitness gyms and smash out pull ups, push ups, kettle bell swings, military press, upright rows etc

I still have plenty of time for this and I have been training for a full marathon on top so it is realistic.

You can always integrate your upper-body with running as part of a circuit!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

pedroliam

Midshipman
Circuit training is a great place to start for complete beginners, it utilizes body weight excersizes and you can incorporate free weights/kettle bells. Start off nice and easy, making sure you are doing the full range of movements with correct form (ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Internet is a great site for learning new excersizes, the correct form and what muscles are engaged).

If you can print off a form like this one http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/mura-... for Life - get fighting fit with the RAF.pdf you can see your improvement, every week.

I personally used the PDF and created my own circuits, with more excersizes ect.

I do it 3 times a week, with 3 sets of each excersize. I always do it after a day at work or a run to make it that little bit harder.

Just with running, eating correctly is a massive benefit. Make sure you get enough protein in your diet and enough rest.

Bear in mind i am probably as useless as you, but just trying to give you a helping hand!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Upper body training Health & Fitness 2
S Qualifications, Upper Yardsman Joining the Royal Navy 4
G Pilot upper age limit Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl Investigates the earth's upper atmosphere MoD News 1
P Medical Cadetship Upper Age Limit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Slipstream Ambiguous upper age limit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Upper Age 56, Can Anyone Confirm ? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
T Upper Age Limit for Joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
dapperdunn Running around the upper scupper The Gash Barge 14
B Senior Upper Yardsmen (SUY) Course 2016 UPO/Careers Office 16
A Senior Upper Yardman Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 63
T Upper age limit for pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
P Upper and Lower pay band The Fleet 25
M Upper Yardman information please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
miffta rmr upper age limit... does previous service include training? RMR 3
A Upper Yardman Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Z Upper age limit RMR RMR 7
J Upper Yardman Scheme Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
inbredyokel upper age limit. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
W RNR Upper Age Limit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Chalky Upper Yardman Submariners 3
B Transfer to upper deck? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
Squirrel Senior Upper Yardman: Question The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS WTO Dispute Settlement Body: Appellate Body Appointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS WTO Dispute Settlement Body: UK Statement on Measures Affecting Trade in Large Civil Aircraft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO’s Dispute Settlement Body on Appellate Body Appointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Healthcare for planets and humans: why looking after nature is good for mind, body, and the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO’s Dispute Settlement Body on Appellate Body Appointments MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body - Forty-Ninth Report - July 2020 The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS UK Statement to the WTO Dispute Settlement Body on Appellate Body Appointments MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces Pay Review Body - 49th Report - 2020 Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO Dispute Settlement Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Statement to the WTO Dispute Settlement Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thanet District Council receive certification mark for CCTV, ANPR and body worn video MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hostile state activity assessment body announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reappointment of members to the Prison Service Pay Review Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO Meeting of the Dispute Settlement Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remit letter for Police Remuneration Review Body 2020 Northern Ireland pay round MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Judith Gillespie appointed as member to the Prison Service Pay Review Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Poor accounting practice in charities to be referred to professional body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vetpol recognised by VMD as a suitable body to maintain a register for suitably qualified persons (SQPs) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National Crime Agency Remuneration and Review Body remit 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remit letter to the Police Remuneration Review Body: 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Pay Review Body remit letter: 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Review Body on Doctors' and Dentists' Remuneration remit letter: 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Expert animal welfare body expanded to advise Government on future reforms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS School Teachers’ Review Body (STRB) remit letter for 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointments to the School Teachers’ Review Body MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bloggers collaborate with government to challenge negative body image MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tim Flesher CB appointed to the Prison Service Pay Review Body MoD News 0