Upper Body Fitness

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Matt1993, Apr 2, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Basically, my cardio is absolutely fine (i feel anyway) as i've been training for 10k/half marathons. Because of this i have neglected the weight section in the gym and my upper body strength definitely needs some work. I've spoken to the fitness instructors at my gym but they were about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Just wandering if anyone can offer some (sensible) advice and maybe some training routines for a novice?

Thanks!

2. Try one of the "100 push up"apps, on android I use one called "just 6 wks" it covers push ups, pull ups, sit ups, dips and squats so u could easily use it for a circuit session

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

3. Ah ok i'll have a look around the app store for some decent ones :) cheers!

4. Works for me and its a good way to track ya progress especially if u have low strength

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

5. Those same apps have web sites as well, google can help you out. Done the push/sit ups and the squats one myself and they are brilliant! Cant see any trainer giving you those same results in six weeks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

6. OMM

OMM War Hero

Just get yourself into the functional fitness gyms and smash out pull ups, push ups, kettle bell swings, military press, upright rows etc

I still have plenty of time for this and I have been training for a full marathon on top so it is realistic.

You can always integrate your upper-body with running as part of a circuit!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

7. Circuit training is a great place to start for complete beginners, it utilizes body weight excersizes and you can incorporate free weights/kettle bells. Start off nice and easy, making sure you are doing the full range of movements with correct form (ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Internet is a great site for learning new excersizes, the correct form and what muscles are engaged).

If you can print off a form like this one http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/mura-... for Life - get fighting fit with the RAF.pdf you can see your improvement, every week.

I personally used the PDF and created my own circuits, with more excersizes ect.

I do it 3 times a week, with 3 sets of each excersize. I always do it after a day at work or a run to make it that little bit harder.

Just with running, eating correctly is a massive benefit. Make sure you get enough protein in your diet and enough rest.

Bear in mind i am probably as useless as you, but just trying to give you a helping hand!!