Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updated Pre-AIB interview Info (OFFICER/PILOT)

older_joiner

Lantern Swinger
It's not looking particularly encouraging at the moment, what with those trainee pilots being made redundant. I think we may have seen only the tip of the iceberg. However, chin up and all that.

Got my Sift Interview on Tuesday - so it'll be celebrations or commiserations all round on Tuesday evening. I would have thought I'll have to wait a while for my AIB, if I pass the Sift interview. I doubt anyone will have definitive figures, but has anyone any indication of how long the waiting list is at the moment? I'm hoping to join as a Logistics Officer.

I'm happy to wait as long as necessary but I would like to organise a few bits of "experience expansion" this spring/summer and I don't want to book and then get my AIB date. AIB comes first, end of.

It's a bit sheltered in here, but I think there is an issue of what is happening come September as officers are going to Rayleigh.
Good luck with the Logistics. There are none on my course and I've heard it's fully booked until the Septembers intake.
Standing by to be corrected though.

soleil

War Hero
It's a bit sheltered in here, but I think there is an issue of what is happening come September as officers are going to Rayleigh.
Good luck with the Logistics. There are none on my course and I've heard it's fully booked until the Septembers intake.

We mustn't let these Officers go to Rayleigh, OJ. It's near Chelmsford and miles from where they need to be .........

Magda

War Hero
Book Reviewer

Thank you, I think I may well need luck! Just heard from another potential cadet that they were asked about the various radars at their Sift interview... *meep* I've got until Tuesday to swot up on them. A not insignificant task, by my reckoning.

What's this about Officers moving to Raleigh? Of course, the Defence Maritime Logistics School is there, but does that mean we Logistics OCs will bypass BRNC entirely?

scouse

War Hero
There is a trial this September whereby all RN recruits, ratings and officers, will complete the first 10 week militarisation phase (phase 1) at HMS Raleigh. After this phase 1 period officer training will continue, as before, at BRNC.

This is part of a new initiative called INT (Initial Naval Training). I'm not sure how long the trial is set to last for but as you correctly state the first officer entry to HMS Raleigh is in September this year.
:protest::protest: Hope the Snottys and young Sirs, are not being victualled/sleeping in the ratings messdeck!!! and are suitably billeted in the Wardroom, at HMS Raleigh
with a steward!!! In those first 10 weeks before moving on to BRNC???? Please, we do have standards to maintain in the Andrew :laughing2:

Magda

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It would appear I've been given another few weeks of forced respite - of sorts. My Sift interview has been moved again to mid March. Third time lucky I hope! Right now I'd just like to get it over with...

On a more positive note, plenty of time to learn about radars whilst I'm away on my busman's holiday in early March...

Magda

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Afternoon all.

Just a message to say I passed my Sift interview this morning; the Lt was friendly, so it was more of a conversation than a quick-fire round of tough questions. He said I was one of the best candidates he'd interviewed (can anyone hear a drum being banged?). I explained I had been preparing for 3 extra months because my interview kept being postponed. He was a bit surprised as he was available on the last date I was given.

Anyway, it's done, and out of the way, thank god. My tips are pretty obvious really:

1. Wear a suit, or at least be as smart as you can. No flashy bling. He commented on my appearance, but even if they don't say anything, you can bet they'll notice.

2. Smile. He said it was nice to talk to a candidate who smiled as they said hello.

3. Know your stuff. Apparently it's quite amazing the number of candidates who don't know the basics. 10 minutes of my interview was taken up talking about Libya and the RN response. Read a broadsheet paper, The Sun etc just ain't good enough.

4. Be honest. If you didn't get the grades you needed at A2 and they ask why not, tell the truth. I explained that I worked really hard at Uni to make up for missing my target grades. He seemed ok with that.

5. It's the little things that matter. Having good body language, vocabulary, and attitude are all easy ways to gain points.

Simples (or so it seems after you walk out having been successful!)

Finally thanks to everyone who has posted useful information on this forum. You receive scant thanks on here for all the hard work you put in, all you Mods and serving/ex-service people. So thank you.

Last edited:
Magda,

Credit where it's due so no need to be over-modest - If your conversational skills and diction are anywhere near the lucidity you've shown whilst 'mixing it' with us at RR then you seem to have the right makings for a successful RN career.

BZ and all the very best for the other selection hurdles.

Bob

Magda

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Thank you Bob and Soleil! Much appreciated, I can tell you. =-)

Soleil, I already have that PDF, very informative! I think I stole it from one of your previous posts. Thanks again all.

vutterman

Midshipman
Basically the interview questions have changed quite alot recently as I discovered this morning when I did my interview.

BEST WISHES, GOOD LUCK, DON'T GET TOO NERVOUS LIKE I DID! :p

I'm trying to sharpen up my knowledge, I'll be eligible to apply for AIB for an officer place in 2 years of time so not in rush.

Could someone advice me where I can learn about all these details about ships and weapons as well as where royal navy are deployed at?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS New and updated guidance for businesses regarding the end of the EU Transition Period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated rules for farm workers arriving in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Interactive GCSE and A level data visualisations updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA launches consultation on updated merger guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clinically extremely vulnerable receive updated guidance in line with new national restrictions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated G20 Action Plan to support the global economy through Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clinically extremely vulnerable receive updated advice tailored to local COVID alert levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government publishes updated GB-EU Border Operating Model MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vocational driver conduct statutory document updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: HPCDS guidance updated as courts restart work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Derailment and fire involving a tanker train at Llangennech - updated 21/09/2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: updated Crown Court fee guidance and new claim forms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated guidance for universities ahead of reopening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Passenger train derailment near Carmont – updated 21/08/2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: CWA codes updated after telephone gateway’s removal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: updated contract schedules from 1 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated plans for A428 Black Cat and Caxton Gibbet upgrade go on show MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated Outsourcing Playbook MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A statement on our updated guidance for private candidates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance updated to support the safe management of funerals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 6/2020: coronavirus response and updated guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to the law in Northern Ireland: updated information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Chancellor Rishi Sunak provides an updated statement on coronavirus. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Updated Contact Centre opening times MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated data protection impact assessment template and guidance launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government publishes updated COVID-19 industry guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 16 out of 22 Rosewell recommendations implemented as Planning Inspectorate publishes updated Action Plan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated statement on coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated media guidance will ensure easier access to court information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 017/2018: Updated Home Office guidance on police misconduct MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maritime minister undertakes future of shipping industry tour, as ports cyber security guidance is updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency announces updated plans for York flood scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on updated travel advice for Iran MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on updated travel advice. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: updated guidance on removable media available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary tariff regime updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Planning Inspectorate publish an updated Inquiries Review Action Plan following Bridget Rosewell’s recent visit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated guidance on the movement of equines in a no deal scenario MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The VMD will launch an updated online special import application form on 7 October 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated flood maps mean Salisbury is better prepared MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated plans for A27 Arundel bypass go on show MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterinary medicines: National authorisation application timetables from 1 April - updated 15 August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: Updated contracts from 1 September 2019 now available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safety Recommendation documents updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Threat level system updated to include all forms of terrorism MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed forces champion for London announced as updated Veterans’ housing report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Updated plans for Stockbury roundabout transformation revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Travel advice to Sri Lanka updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Updated announcement from Dr Gillian Fairfield, DBS Chairman MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Government response to updated energy price cap level MoD News 0