Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updated Pre-AIB interview Info (OFFICER/PILOT)

WannabePilot

Lantern Swinger
Updated SIFT interview Info (OFFICER/PILOT)

Basically the interview questions have changed quite alot recently as I discovered this morning when I did my interview.

Thankfully I didn't failed and I'm doing the interview again in 3 months, this won't actually delay me because the earliest training is in April. So it gives me more time to prepare for a later AIB. (Admiralty Interviewing Board)

Anyway I can remember most of the really hard questions you will be asked if you are trying to get in as an officer.

The first thing is, you have to have a huge vast knowledge on the Navy. I mostly focused on Fleet Air Arm but they want you to know in great detail about each part of the Navy including the Marines.

Every fact you give them, they are going to ask you to expand on it.

He pointed at ships and I named the type well because I had learnt what the different ship types look like. Then I was stumped because next he asked me what sort of gun was on the daring class destroyer, the radar type & what sort of missile system it had.

Another knowledge based one was with where is the Navy around the world and I pointed to places on a map and briefly summed up what they were doing there. (Gulf of Adan - piracy, falklands - protecting from argentina, Scotland - joint nato mission joint warrior, North America training exercises.)

This wasn't enough, for each are you must point it out by the way. They are going to ask you what ships are in each area, you don't have to remember them all but at least a few. You will have to know exactly what they are there for. Like with America they are also there for hurricanes so they can assist with disaster relief. They recently discovered loads of oil under the Falklands. Everytime you tell them something they are going to make you expand on it, the knowledge they expect at this stage is immense so you need to be prepared for it.

I told them my Pilot training.

10 month Dartmouth - Officer Basic Training
6 Month Barkston Heath - Basic Flying - g115, firefly, jetstream
9 Month Linton on ouse - Fixed wing - tucano
9 month Linton on Ouse - Fast jet flying - Hawk
9 month raf wittering - air combat flying - Harrier.

I thought this was a good answer but then I was asked to tell him about the 5 sections of the Dartmouth Officer training. I didn't know but I assume he would of asked about the different sections of the other training aswell. You have to know your facts very strongly.

Challenging questions

Proudest achievement

least proud moment

Examples of leadership, they are going to want to know loads

What you did for your school (extra curricular)

examples of determination

Leadership activities

difference between management and leadership

who is the current admiral of fleet? (i said benjamin bathurst from like 20 years ago xP)

what 3 sections is the royal marines split into?

What is this ship?

what is this aircraft?

what is this gun?

Location + Info on Shore bases.

3 commando brigade, where are they based?

1st sea lord, 2nd sealord, captain of cincfleet?

remember to say Sir before you tell them!

What has been decommissioned in the cuts?

What aircraft & ships are kept at each base?

what is this missile launcher?

what is this radar?

Discreet said:
There was a section about personal life, including family which I was a bit unprepared for, but I made it through... Such things as "Do you have any siblings" etc. As part of this my cadet involvement came up, which seemed to tick a fair few boxes. (Moments like this outweigh the disadvantages of being in two cadet forces ). Unfortunately for me however, the cadet forces have squashed a lot of other things out of my life, so I was a bit washed up on the questions about jobs et al. (Luckily I managed to spin some dits about my hobbies, so that was alright)

Moving on to the RN knowledge, there was a picture of HMS Ocean on the wall, which I was asked to identify and describe the role of. The picture was of her delightful rear end, which made it difficult to discern the difference between her and an Albion class; thankfully after a shift in seating position I noted the lack of rear door. One point to note, try and drop the word 'organic' into things, it makes it sound like you know something In this case, it was with reference to the RM detachment.

Then followed the 'Where are the RN in the world'. Struggling to think of a starting point, my 'Well... Everywhere...' was met with a 'can you elaborate?' Which I did; RN shore establishments are easy points, as are the Fishery patrols "oop north", which I got a congratulations for, as apparently nobody mentions them (poor beggars). I did forget the name of Joint Warrior however...

For my sins, the next set of questions was on the fledgling knowledge of the RM that I'd shown with HMS Ocean.
"What is the RN presence in Afghan?"
"What are the names of the other Cdos?"
"Where are 45 Cdo based?" "...meep?"

Then a session of FAA knowledge, pointing to a Merlin HM1 and asking me to name it's role. (Another point here, these AFCO offices are full of far too much RAF rubbish, there were only two proper dark-blue pictures there! Anyway, I digress...)
Question on RN pilot pipeline; "What are the names of the BRNC exercises?" (Which I'd managed to spectacularly forget... ABLE and MARL for those wondering...)
"What rank would you enter as a non-graduate?" Here I managed to miss the 'non' bit, leading to the answer of S/Lt. rather than Mid.

The conclusion were the standard questions; "Are you aware of HM forces drugs policy", The thing about male officers being offered submarine service should they fail training (Aircrew grading in this instance). In addition, the infamous "Kill Question". to which I answered,
"If the engagement satisfied the Laws of Armed conflict and the Rules of Engagement, then yes. Ultimately it's not about killing someone, it's about saving the lives of comrades and the innocent". He seemed pretty happy with that, so I shall take it to AIB

WannabePilot said:
Was giving a friend some tips for his. Then sort of wrote loads, thought it might be useful for someone on here.

Okay can give you a bit of info then. :)

"Learn in great detail the pipeline for your desired training. They will ask you about the topics you learn and Dartmouth and what sections the 10 months is split into.

Learn ALL about ships/subs/aircraft, the weapons, the decoys, the role of the ship. (as best you can)

Particularly learn about the Astute & Type 45.

They will almost certainly ask you about the Marines, 3 Commando, attached Units and where 40, 42 & 45 are based. Most of the questions will be nothing to do with the FAA.

They will get you to point at a map and tell them all about about 3 or 4 areas the Navy is operating in. E.g Gulf of Aden, North Atlantic Patrols

Once you have told them and managed to point to the right place then they are going to ask you which ships are there. This includes the Royal Fleet Auxiliary ships and you should learn about those too. The second question is typically why are they there, then maybe questions on recent current affairs in that area.

If you do get stumped, it is better to just admit it because they are just trying to find out how much detail you know about the Navy and they will generally keep asking questions until you run out of answers.

They ask you about what rank you are at each stage of training.

Questions about the top end leaders of the Navy (First sea lord, 2nd sea lord, Cinc Fleet)

Look into HM Armed forces drugs policy, they always ask this.

Look into MARL/ABLE leadership activities at Dartmouth.

Personal Questions:

Make sure you have some great leadership and teamwork examples, Ideally over long periods of time.

There is tons of personal questions. Most are easy, for example

parents jobs, siblings jobs...

School life

Employment life

Desires and dreams for the future

Questions I didn't expect -

Proudest Achievement

Least Proud moment

Difference between Leadership and Management

----------

If your Naval knowledge isn't good enough

They will generally defer you for 3 months, then you can swot up in prep for the next interview which will generally be very Naval knowledge focused.

Wish you the best mate, hope all that proves useful! :)"

-------------

thats about as much as I can remember anyway. Basically you gotta get your revision in!

the questions I was most prepared for and was expecting were

why do you want to join the navy?

why would you be a good officer/pilot?

why would you be a good leader?

details on naval family history?

sadly the ones I was most ready for are apparently the biggest parts of the old interview style. I would still revise these though because I used the things I was ready for to cover up my mistakes.

That is about all the advice I can give, remember to research all the parts of the navy in detail including the marines. Best wishes and I hope you are more prepared then me. I think I managed to earn the second attempt because I did well at showing my determination, the fitness I had prepared for it and my commitment to the Navy.

BEST WISHES, GOOD LUCK, DON'T GET TOO NERVOUS LIKE I DID! :p

Last edited:
F*ck me, I'm glad I'm not joining up these days. My "filter interview" consisted of going down the pub with the Lt and having a quick chat about the RN. We then discussed rugby for the remaining 30 minutes....

Drakey

War Hero
WannabePilot said:
Basically the interview questions have changed quite alot recently as I discovered this morning when I did my interview.

Thankfully I didn't failed and I'm doing the interview again in 3 months, this won't actually delay me because the earliest training is in April. So it gives me more time to prepare for a later AIB. (Admiralty Interviewing Board)
I don't understand that. "You didn't fail(ed), but doing it again in 3 months". If you didn't fail, then why are you doing it again.

Confused of Kernow.

soleil

War Hero
This bit is a real pity, if I am honest:

"Then I was stumped because next he asked me what sort of gun was on the daring class destroyer, the radar type & what sort of missile system it had".

This is one question which you should have expected to get and prepared for, as the Type 45 has a really high profile at the moment being so new; there is loads to read about it in all sorts of places, too.

This one is a shame, as well:

"I thought this was a good answer but then I was asked to tell him about the 5 sections of the Dartmouth Officer training. I didn't know."

This one was another one which should have been a "Must Know" for you, really.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
From the answers given, it would seem that the focus of revisiion was a bit unilateral.

For pilots, expect questions about submarines, Royal Marines and Royal Fleet Auxilliary also. The advice is to remember the job also involves being a leader within the Royal Navy, not just the "Royal Me".

Best of luck for the re-take of the Sift Interview.

WannabePilot

Lantern Swinger
Thx all, yes I was under prepared. A Fail means they tell you not to come back. I am going to do it again.

But from what I had heard from reading posts on this forum, It was much harder then it used to be.

Why are you surprised that he didn't know who an Admiral of the Fleet was. The only (non-Royal) AoF alive at the moment are:

Sir Edward Ashmore
Sir Henry Leach
Sir Julian Oswald
Sir Benjamin Bathurst

If you mean the Lord High Admiral, then that might be a little different.

Drakey

War Hero
I'm still confused, or maybe just misreading your posts.

Did you fail the AIB. You said that a fail means that they tell you not to come back. But you are still going to do it again. ??????

older_joiner

Lantern Swinger
alfred_the_great said:
Why are you surprised that he didn't know who an Admiral of the Fleet was. The only (non-Royal) AoF alive at the moment are:

Sir Edward Ashmore
Sir Henry Leach
Sir Julian Oswald
Sir Benjamin Bathurst

If you mean the Lord High Admiral, then that might be a little different.

I did.

Apologies, I thought that it was what he meant.

edit- I just had a look on wiki (not the most authoritative of resources I admit) and it states
The practice of ordinarily promoting retiring First Sea Lords or Admirals becoming Chief of the Defence Staff to the rank of Admiral of the Fleet was then stopped.
So now I'm intrigued if that means it is Sir Benjamin Bathurst as he was the latest, or as it seems to be an honorary rank, they are all Admirals of the Fleet.

helitrex

having read this it seems you have not done much research at all with regard to your pilot training. yeovilton first for grading ,then barkston heath for elementary flying traing,then either linton on ouse or shawbury,depending on your abilities,then valley if you pass linton 2 courses there, on the hawk pass that then squadron harrier certainly not at wittering!!! There are no hawks at linton .if you can't be bothered to get this right at your interview there are plenty that will so i wouldn't hold out much hope for your success in the future maybe they were just being kind to you saying to come back. :roll:

K640

War Hero
OJ and Alfred - Perhaps he meant he didn't know who 1SL is. That would seem a bit more relevant to the interview.

older_joiner

Lantern Swinger
K640 said:
OJ and Alfred - Perhaps he meant he didn't know who 1SL is. That would seem a bit more relevant to the interview.

I did think he meant the 1st Sea Lord, hence the surprise.
Knowing who is in a position that ended 15 years seems a bit ott. But then again I am in no position to question such things.

I guess we'll be guessing amongst ourselves as to what was asked unless WannabePilot comes back to confirm

WannabePilot

Lantern Swinger
helitrex said:
having read this it seems you have not done much research at all with regard to your pilot training. yeovilton first for grading ,then barkston heath for elementary flying traing,then either linton on ouse or shawbury,depending on your abilities,then valley if you pass linton 2 courses there, on the hawk pass that then squadron harrier certainly not at wittering!!! There are no hawks at linton .if you can't be bothered to get this right at your interview there are plenty that will so i wouldn't hold out much hope for your success in the future maybe they were just being kind to you saying to come back. :roll:

Look I have been honest about my mistakes so other people can learn from them, so how about instead of criticising me then you just give me advice for next time. One of the main reasons I was unprepared was because of the posts on this forum making it look a lot easier then it actually was. I did point out my mistakes and the questions I found hard, you may notice I didn't tell you how I answered them. They want me back because I proved my determination, leadership skills, communication skills & dedication to the force. I wrote what could help people, not the self glorifying details of the whole interview.

soleil

War Hero
Drakey said:
I'm still confused, or maybe just misreading your posts.

Did you fail the AIB. You said that a fail means that they tell you not to come back. But you are still going to do it again. ??????

I think that he/she hasn't got past his/her Sift with the ACLO and has been asked to brush up his/her knowledge and come back to the AFCO to see him/her again in a few months' time.

That is my understanding of it.

helitrex

you say you have proved all these skills ,but you still failed! i think that if you post here next year you will still have failed,a friend of the family had his A.I.B in november and started dartmouth in january (pilot) they obviously wanted him and he obviously showed a lot more skills than you .i think maybe a different career choice should be sought! :?

WannabePilot

Lantern Swinger
helitrex said:
you say you have proved all these skills ,but you still failed! i think that if you post here next year you will still have failed,a friend of the family had his A.I.B in november and started dartmouth in january (pilot) they obviously wanted him and he obviously showed a lot more skills than you .i think maybe a different career choice should be sought! :?

I'll send you a message next April when I start my Pilot training.

JW7121

Lantern Swinger
WannabePilot said:
Thx all, yes I was under prepared. A Fail means they tell you not to come back. I am going to do it again.

But from what I had heard from reading posts on this forum, It was much harder then it used to be.

To be honest, it looks exactly the same as the interview I had back in 2007 when I was applying as a warfare officer.

helitrex

that post will be on april the 1st april fools day have you seen the recent waiting times for starting courses even assuming you pass selection looking at your grammer in your original post english will have to be studied as well
wishing you the best but don't hold your breath you won't survive :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

WhizzbangDai

War Hero
WannabePilot said:
I told them my Pilot training.

10 month Dartmouth - Officer Basic Training
6 Month Barkston Heath - Basic Flying - g115, firefly, jetstream
9 Month Linton on ouse - Fixed wing - tucano
9 month Linton on Ouse - Fast jet flying - Hawk
9 month raf wittering - air combat flying - Harrier.

For future reference, it's 28 weeks at Dartmouth, not 10 months (that would be really shit) - and from there all the courses are about 7 months dependant on weather - much better to learn the number of hours you have to attain rather than length of time. Plus we stopped using the Firefly a while back, it's all Grob Tutors nowadays. :)

And the rest of the questions were what where expected of me a while ago, so the criteria aren't new, as far as I can tell, you were just mis-informed maybe before going as to depth you needed. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS New and updated guidance for businesses regarding the end of the EU Transition Period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated rules for farm workers arriving in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Interactive GCSE and A level data visualisations updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA launches consultation on updated merger guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clinically extremely vulnerable receive updated guidance in line with new national restrictions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated G20 Action Plan to support the global economy through Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clinically extremely vulnerable receive updated advice tailored to local COVID alert levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government publishes updated GB-EU Border Operating Model MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vocational driver conduct statutory document updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: HPCDS guidance updated as courts restart work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Derailment and fire involving a tanker train at Llangennech - updated 21/09/2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: updated Crown Court fee guidance and new claim forms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated guidance for universities ahead of reopening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Passenger train derailment near Carmont – updated 21/08/2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: CWA codes updated after telephone gateway’s removal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: updated contract schedules from 1 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated plans for A428 Black Cat and Caxton Gibbet upgrade go on show MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated Outsourcing Playbook MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A statement on our updated guidance for private candidates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance updated to support the safe management of funerals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 6/2020: coronavirus response and updated guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to the law in Northern Ireland: updated information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Chancellor Rishi Sunak provides an updated statement on coronavirus. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Updated Contact Centre opening times MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated data protection impact assessment template and guidance launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government publishes updated COVID-19 industry guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 16 out of 22 Rosewell recommendations implemented as Planning Inspectorate publishes updated Action Plan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated statement on coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated media guidance will ensure easier access to court information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Circular 017/2018: Updated Home Office guidance on police misconduct MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maritime minister undertakes future of shipping industry tour, as ports cyber security guidance is updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency announces updated plans for York flood scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on updated travel advice for Iran MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on updated travel advice. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: updated guidance on removable media available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary tariff regime updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Planning Inspectorate publish an updated Inquiries Review Action Plan following Bridget Rosewell’s recent visit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated guidance on the movement of equines in a no deal scenario MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The VMD will launch an updated online special import application form on 7 October 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated flood maps mean Salisbury is better prepared MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated plans for A27 Arundel bypass go on show MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterinary medicines: National authorisation application timetables from 1 April - updated 15 August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: Updated contracts from 1 September 2019 now available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safety Recommendation documents updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Threat level system updated to include all forms of terrorism MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed forces champion for London announced as updated Veterans’ housing report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Updated plans for Stockbury roundabout transformation revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Travel advice to Sri Lanka updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Updated announcement from Dr Gillian Fairfield, DBS Chairman MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Government response to updated energy price cap level MoD News 0