Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dongus, Sep 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I have made my decision to stick with my current job as a police officer. Its a lot to give up for something I still may not like. But have been looking at the RMR so think will give this a go as it will satisfy a need I have to do some time in the forces without giving up the steady job and pension at the end of it.

Thanks for the advice people have given it was much appreciated.
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Dorset Police certainly have no problems with the TA, on Sunday I was speaking to a lad that I used to be in with, he is still serving and has done a couple of tours in Afgan, I would assume that most forces would be the same, best to check before you go to far down the RMR road
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Dongus: Have you considered joining the RMP(R), which might suit your skills better? To the best of my knowledge, the RMR have no Reservist Police Troop, but RMP(R) deploy frequently alongside full-time Provost Companies.
  4. Hear that 716, he's a peeler, come to arrest the taliban has he. :wink: :D
  5. Dont you have names instead of numbers.....

he is jones from boothwells i am jones from boothwaite and there are four more jones' in b company confusing that isnt it dutchie....I too have seen Zulu far too many times !

Yeh im gonna have to check what the script is I know you can be a member of reserves and a police officer but I think alot of forces have a maximum number allowed at any one time and I will have to wait a while till im out of my probation I think any way.

Yeh I had thought about RMP I have a mate who is a reg and another who is in RMP R. Will see what happens
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I bow to Janner with regard knowledge of local constabulary policy & all things Policemanlike.

Some forces appear fine about joining the Reserves, others limit the amount of officers permitted to join. The head-honcho copper (often referred to as the 'Chief Constable' to those of us in the know) will direct local policy. Certainly where I work (oop Norf), they limit the numbers permitted to join the reserves quite stringently & there's a waiting list of aspiring policemen & women waiting for one to leave so they may join.
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

From memory, most forces have limitations on the numbers permitted to be in Armed Services reserves.
    Dongus, my best advice, concentrate on getting your first four years behind you before you commit to much else.