update - 'slightly drunk............' being kicked out

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by navywidow, Dec 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I posted a message oh here a few weeks ago now because my other half had left for deployment for 9 months. I needed advice about coping being apart from each other... well i received great advice but it seems something completely unexpected has happened. My partner has yesterday been officially kicked out for his second failure on his P.O.'s exam. Hes gutted and really disappointed, he could be home within a month

2. Not sure you can really get kicked out for failure at a Petty Officers Exam. Perhaps disrated or landed from your current draft, whilst they make decisions. But to be kicked out seems a little harsh

SM

:nemo:

3. hed had two warnings but his cheif said he was going to recommend to the captain he be kicked out, they said it wasnt a fault of doing his job or anything just based on his promotional prospects. They said he didnt have the drive or character to be a P.O. Everybodys shocked, his family, me and all his mates onboard, they cant understand it.

4. I can't understand that either navywidow

5. This story gets stranger and stranger!!!!!

SM ?????

6. Mm.. It does seem kind of overkill kicking someone out over a test.

Here comes the "You would know, schoolboy senteforaslash ha ha ha we're so smart"

7. he was quite angry actually cause he said he doesnt 'hang out' in the mess steaming drunk and allways does his work and does his share of duty... its weird. Im not even going to try to understand being non-navy but hes struggling too. He even did a presentation last week and all his bosses said it was great, they even handed it out to people who were asking if they could take notes from it.

8. I don't know why NavyWidow, but something doesn't seem to be ringing true. If everything you say it true, why are the RN throwing him out. There is a distinct shortage in the navy of leading hands/PO in all branches. The RN would have to have a strong case to even think about throwing someone outside now days. To many cases of having to pay large sums of money for incorrect dismissal.

That said, I do hope it works out for him and you.

SM

9. There must be more to this than meets the eye....................it would be nice to be kept informed....................out of sheer curiosity.

10. It seems a little strange to me also. No one can be compelled to take their rate and many people finish their career as a junior rate. Failing a promotion exam wouldn't warrant dismissal from the RN.

11. Killick failing a PO's exam
    or a PO failing a qualifying exam to confirmation in the Rate.
    Either way you just stay as you are or possibly revert .
    As a tradesman you just stayed as is because you were technically
    qualified .

Its all changed since my days anyway but being removed from the ship/RN seems strange .

Navywidow whats your hubby's rate--ie what do you put on his letters
    infront of his name ???

:nemo: :nemo:

12. Re: update - 'slightly drunk............' being kicked out
    Sorry I thought the title was because he was drunk.....silly me must keep up to speed....bit harsh still three sides to every story and all that.

13. If a killick Tiff failed his POs exam repeatedly then he would be recommended discharge shore IIRC.

If he isn't a tiff and he's really being kicked outside that quickly then I'm sorry love but he ain't telling you the whole story.

14. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

As Lamri has already stated, an LMEA would be dsicharged shore for repeated failure of a PO's board. However, having gone through "dummy" board procedure first, he would be unlikely to be allowed to sit the board if he was likely to fail. Even then, after only two attempts, this is harsh. it should be at least three attempts really (DO's warning , HOD's warning then CO's). That is unless, the rating involved has made it clear that he doesn't want to pass, in which case some of the formalities will be missed out. To be honest, I think that's probably what's happened here and the lad doesn't want to tell his folks. Either that or he's been a very naughty boy.

Just a final thought:
    "Here comes the "You would know, schoolboy senteforaslash ha ha ha we're so smart""
    So why bother posting it? You have just admitted that you are in no position to give advice, or indeed, know anything of what may have happened.

15. hi, he's a LMEA tif does that make sense, i think thats right. He did make a request to leave five months ago but was told that he had to serve his 7 years which he was pissed about but understood. Perhaps added with failing his exams they thought he wasnt worth the work if he was going to leave? Hes been in 5 years. He didnt want to leave by being kicked out so was going to put in to leave as soon as he could. I think that was probably why he got kicked?

16. If he's an LMEA and is being kicked outside (and WANTS to go outside) then he's an idiot.
    As an LMEA he has reserved rights and would, WOULD be a Chief in a relatively short space of time.

If he can't be bothered, has repeatedly told people that he's had enough and wants to go outside and then fails his PO's dummy/real deliberately on numerous occasions then he has no one to blame but himself. What a waste of training.

17. As above. Sympathy level low on this one I'm afraid.

18. tiddlyoggy

Yes, this makes sense now. It's known as "working your ticket". As I said earlier, if he doesn't want to stay in, his department won't waste their time putting him through warning procedures and will discharge him. Some ships though, may make this an unpleasant experience. As he has wasted their time they may give him as rough a ride as possible before he leaves (depends on the ship). Alternatively, they just want rid of him as soon as possible.
    Lammers, he may not make it to chief if he stays in, yes he has preserved rights to CPO in his career path, but it's not a given. He has a lot of goals to achieve before he gets that far, it may be that he knows he can't make it and is jumping before he's pushed.

19. Agreed :)
    But its VERY rare for a PO tiff to fail the Chiefs board.

20. tiddlyoggy

Hmmm, I'd have to disagree with the "very" part of that, uncommon yes, rare, probably. Very rare, I'd say not so. Still we're just splitting hairs here.