Upcoming Deployments

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by dcook22, Feb 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    I've recently become fascinated by the Royal Navy. I'd love to go down to Portsmouth, or maybe Devonport, sometime to see a Frigate or Aircraft Carrier deploy, but I can't seem to come across much information on departure dates. According to the official website, HMS Middleton is to deploy tomorrow, but this is a bit too soon and as I understand it is a smaller ship.

Does anyone know the dates of upcoming departures, or maybe how I can go about finding out?

Cheers

2. Afternoon comrade; I take it your resident port watcher is off with the flu?

3. Go to any pub 'down Guildhall' eventually you will hear some sprog gobbing off about when they are next deploying.

Seriously though you're better off welcoming a ship home from deployment instead. It's a happier occasion and usually well publicised.

4. I'd be happy to welcome a ship home as well. I thought maybe those dates might be more subject to change though. If I can be reasonably assured of a departure or arrival time within a range of 4 or 5 hours I'd be happy either way.

5. You don't neccesarily need to go down to Pompey or Guzz to see a RN ship.

Which part of the country do you live in, very roughly?

6. I'm from Canada but I'm living in London at the moment. And I'm guessing that Pompey is HMNB Portsmouth and Guzz is Devonport?

I know in London there is HMS Belfast which I have had many looks at but I'd really like to see one sailing.

7. Yeah that must be real adrenalin rush stuff :roll: :roll:

8. That makes it a little more difficult. The larger ships do come up the Thames, but usually only for special occasions; when they do, they stop at Greenwich.

There is a smaller ship coming in soon, but nothing larger AFAIK.

If you really are keen, HMS Ark Royal will be visiting Tyneside shortly and there will be opportunities to visit the ship. HMS Albion will be in Liverpool not long after that.

BTW You are correct re Pompey and Guzz.

9. So is it not possible to find out upcoming departure/return dates at Portsmouth? I'm quite keen to see the city as well and was hoping to make a daytrip out of it.

I do like the idea though of seeing the Ark Royal up north as I have also been hoping to visit Newcastle.

10. General comment: Don't think it's particlarly good form to give such info out. I'm told that in the Falklands conflict the opposition just tuned into the BBC world service and found out most of what they wanted to know. News twats will do anything for a story.....lol..

11. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Harbour Masters
    Portsmouth

Plymouth

As far as I know nobody publishes long range shipping movements because:
    a) They are subject to change at very short notice
    b) It's not the sort of thing most people are interested in so only promulgated on a need to know basis
    c) Possibly sensitive information as you don't want to give the morons time to plan their little japes.

There are a few sites that have live mapping of shipping in and around the UK, mostly restricted to commercial vessels though

12. This one isn't bad, just click on an area of interest and see what's about

http://www.shipais.com/index.php?map=uk

13. Dicky

I have taken on board your observation.

I, personally, only give out details of ship visits once those details have been announced in the press e.g. the ones I have listed above. I like to think that it is in the Navy's interest for information of that type to be widely disseminated, as it encourages more people to visit the ships when they come in, at a time when it is increasingly important for the general public to know just how substantial the Navy's role is.

Incidentally, the Port of London itself has a shipping movement list but Royal Navy ships are never listed on it for security reasons.

14. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

dcook22 - if you PM me your name and address I can get you a copy of the long term (well 6 month at least) programmes and forward it to you. Don't post your name or address on the threads as we have had problems in the past. Send the Private Message and I will sort you out.

15. Also worth trying to get down to Navy Days mate, you won't see anything big actually moving in the water (although you might see some rigid raiders, P2000s, helicopters etc doing displays) but it will give you a chance to have a look round a number of ships including some of the RN's newest kit. For an enthusiast it is a very enjoyable day.

From 30 July - 01 August inclusive at HMNB Portsmouth.

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/events/event416.php

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/establishments/naval-bases-and-air-stations/hmnb-portsmouth/news/star-attractions-lined-up-for-navy-days/*/changeNav/6568

16. Is that the rather jolly Monthly one signed top and bottom by some chap called C Onfidenial?

17. It's nice to take so much interest but I we need to be mindful of OPSEC as well...