Up the creek..The Guardian on the RNR

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by TangoAlpha15, Mar 27, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stumbled across this article yesterday; it appears the new RNR advert hasn't persuaded one person to join up at least.

Clearly written by someone with an slight bias, none the less is the advert really that bad? Personally I didn't think it was awful but I do think recruitment adverts are trying to be a bit too 'edgy'.

For those who haven't seen:

Article here: http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/mar/26/royal-navy-reserves-advert

Thoughts?

2. I hadn't seen the advert, and I must be a bit Easter-egged because I can't see any reference in the article to the resulting lack of potential recruits . The comments on the piece are quite interesting. I rather liked:

"Not everyone who regularly reads The Guardian is a wuss, but it does seem that many articles are aimed at such an audience and the journos who write them certainly qualify for that title."

A bit unfair, perhaps, on some journalists who have worked for that newspaper. David Fairhall, for example, was a first-class and objective defence correspondent a few years ago. But the paper does have an agenda, and many people reading it now will expect its spin.

It's certainly the case that a positive RN story in the Grauniad is potentially worth a lot more than the same story in the Torygraph, because it is not preaching to the ( largely) converted. But I would reckon that a negative story - and one written in such a biased way - is not that likely to be a problem. It would be interesting to get a take from the recruiters.

• Like Like x 2
  3. That writer hates his life.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. During the early-ish TELIC/HERRICK years, the Guardian had an excellent journalist (whose name escapes me) who posted regularly on ARRSE.

On the other hand, Stuart Heritage is a typical "metropolitan elite" Londoner who writes breathlessly about having to do phys and stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ATG
    Was it Robert Fitch, who wrote that superb book, The Great War For Civilisation"?

6. No, it was a female journo, who I think went under the username 'MintyMcGee' or some such. I can't find it on the list of ARRSE users at the moment.

7. ATG,
    Slightly off topic, but I can strongly recommend Fitch's book.

8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

minty was great and sadly missed - not sure where she ended up.

The article is 'interesting' to put it mildly.

9. She's still writing for the guardian.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Going back to the actual advert, the journalist is entitled to a subjective opinion, much the same as the rest of us, I guess.

Maritime Reserves recruiting is definitely on the up in my region, the bit the RNR seem to struggle with is retention, but there is a reason for that. People who fail selection for regular service are often encouraged to join the reserves whilst they bide their time for another re-visit. The problem with this is it creates a false image of the RNR and also creates a skewed false high outflow statistic.

The advert? I like it, but it isn't aimed at me. Like many already serving/served I thought the Sailor School was a train smash, but applications have increased. The quality of the applicants remains to be seen, granted.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I can understand what the journalist saw, but the RNR wouldn't be after people who viewed it in that light.

12. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Interesting advert, quite why we insist on sticking RN personnel in MTP when we have PCS to use when there is a clear branding opportunity I just don't get? [I know its outdoors but thats not the point].

That aside its not a bad advert, showing some of the more interesting things you will experience in around 18-24 months of your joining, condensed into 45sec. Lets be honest, you'd not want to show the death by powerpoint in an RTC, the desperate search for a DII machine to put in a claim or the search for a PSI who can answer questions for a task book!

All irony ceased - its not bad, should pique the interest of a few. Next in the series should show the same person on a JW, or a boarding team/SPO on an exercise....wearing PCS!

The biggest question is why doesn't the advert work, is the MR interesting or even relevant to todays youth? If you look at the CMR staff they're all late 40s+, usually ex-regulars, I wonder if therein lies an issue?

• Like Like x 5
  13. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I think the age profile of the MR in general is worrying - there is a large 'bulge' in the 40 something age bracket, and this will fall out the system soon. As others have noted, its not the recruiting pipeline thats the problem its keeping the offer compelling at the 5, 10, 15 year point that is more challenging.

14. ...and the Devonport prog's , giving any young thruster an insight into what life is like after training.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I thought that ad was quite good. It would
    Pique my interest.

16. PT
    things have changed quite a bit since your recent departure, units are now assessed (marked!!!) on their retention figures, and CMR gets very grumpy with those units who can't/don't hang on to their people!!

17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

PT I do believe that this makes you a PSOF officially ;)

• Funny Funny x 1