UNWANTED WARSHIPS FOR SALE

Capn_Pugwash

Lantern Swinger
#1
It would seem that there are some unwanted warships on the Clyde.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/...es-clyde-built-vessels-high-and-dry-1.1068381

Some handbagging going on between BAe and Trinidad and Tobago.

VT beat BAe in the orginal bid, then BAe bought VT and discovered that VT had made a mess of the bid process, leaving BAe with the fustercluck to sort out.

Not the first time either, from the report.

And there was the case years ago of the Umbogo "royal yacht", built by Yarrow's (?) which became the Mermaid and was subsequently involved in the sinking of the Fittleton.
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
#3
Capn_Pugwash said:
It would seem that there are some unwanted warships on the Clyde.

<snip>

Not the first time either, from the report.
The Brunei OPVs were, I understand, cut-down versions of the Lekiu class frigates supplied to Malaysia. The follow-on work was the Brunei OPVs which, although the court case was settled in favour of BAe, still haven't found a permanent operational home. Now looks like BAe run the risk of having one of the world's largest navies, comprised solely of warships that they've built and which the customer has declined to accept (for whatever reason)! It should be noted also that although the Malaysian frigates were accepted by the RMN, this acceptance was several years late due to weapon systems integration issues.
 
#4
Paddingtonbear said:
They look to be a similar spec to the River class, - I wonder if the MOD would consider buying them?

Could fill a nice gap we have at relatively low cost?
I think buying more ships is the last thing on the MOD's agenda at the minute, would be nice but can't see it happening.
 

jockpopeye

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
#7
Just a suggestion...

we at Rumration could form a limited company UK RN Ltd funded by some well meaning venture capitalists and do an out sourced navy for the miserly UK government.

Start with these two and we should be massive enough to buy a couple of carriers once they are ready at bargain basement prices, we can then spend what we save on some fixed wing assets.

Anyone up for some global mayhem? Much like blackwater there will be limited application of ROE so anything goes.

Variety of oppertunities for any ex service personnel (standfast crabs) just remember to bring the correct trainers, amount of money and your mum to basic training.
 
G

guestm

Guest
#8
jockpopeye said:
Just a suggestion...

we at Rumration could form a limited company UK RN Ltd funded by some well meaning venture capitalists and do an out sourced navy for the miserly UK government.

Start with these two and we should be massive enough to buy a couple of carriers once they are ready at bargain basement prices, we can then spend what we save on some fixed wing assets.

Anyone up for some global mayhem? Much like blackwater there will be limited application of ROE so anything goes.

Variety of oppertunities for any ex service personnel (standfast crabs) just remember to bring the correct trainers, amount of money and your mum to basic training.
I'm in. Let's brass up the seven seas.
 
#10
Montigny-La-Palisse said:
jockpopeye said:
Just a suggestion...

we at Rumration could form a limited company UK RN Ltd funded by some well meaning venture capitalists and do an out sourced navy for the miserly UK government.

Start with these two and we should be massive enough to buy a couple of carriers once they are ready at bargain basement prices, we can then spend what we save on some fixed wing assets.

Anyone up for some global mayhem? Much like blackwater there will be limited application of ROE so anything goes.

Variety of oppertunities for any ex service personnel (standfast crabs) just remember to bring the correct trainers, amount of money and your mum to basic training.
I'm in. Let's brass up the seven seas.
Bagsy Engineer of the Watch..wooohooo, more seatime!
 
#11
type42stoker said:
Montigny-La-Palisse said:
jockpopeye said:
Just a suggestion...

we at Rumration could form a limited company UK RN Ltd funded by some well meaning venture capitalists and do an out sourced navy for the miserly UK government.

Start with these two and we should be massive enough to buy a couple of carriers once they are ready at bargain basement prices, we can then spend what we save on some fixed wing assets.

Anyone up for some global mayhem? Much like blackwater there will be limited application of ROE so anything goes.

Variety of oppertunities for any ex service personnel (standfast crabs) just remember to bring the correct trainers, amount of money and your mum to basic training.

I'm in. Let's brass up the seven seas.
Bagsy Engineer of the Watch..wooohooo, more seatime!

RP or Nav's Yeo for me
 

jockpopeye

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
#16
Excellent... any empty billets can always be fileld by Poles as they are cheap and hard working.

I quite fancy trying my hand at being the Jimmy, as long as nobody pisses in my tea.
 

Capn_Pugwash

Lantern Swinger
#17
RP or Nav's Yeo for me
etc

Sorry, but as OP, I reserve the right to appoint.


However, we have the following volunteers so far:

Jimmy Jockpopeye
MEO Type42stoker
WEO/Guns Gunbuster
Navs Yeo Tommo
CIS/Tac Flagwaver
Specials QM Sgtpepperband


I also nominate Domino’s Pizza and the chef at the Indian at the top on my road as CPOCk, watch about.

All bids to me.

In your own time.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rod-gearing Diamond Lil's 7
S The Fleet 13
bigbaddog History 1

Similar threads