Unsure of my eligibility

SuperNova

Hi all,
I'm really enthusiastic to join the royal navy as an undergraduate submarine engineer. I meet every other requirement, however, I read that I need:

"160 UCAS points gained from Level 3 STEM qualifications (BTEC, A/A2/AS or equivalents) in an engineering discipline, or in maths and at least one in physical science, engineering or computing subject."

I studied computing and electronics at A level and had a good understanding of the subjects, however my results from exams don't reflect that. I also achieved higher than entry level expected GCSE's. I have a C in both AS and A2 photography however I realise these probaby don't help me whatsoever.

I really badly want to get a place on an apprenticeship as good as this and for something like this to trip me up would be so disappointing.
I've been training for 3 weeks now, completed my psychometric test and have done all the necessary homework for my interview, and I really want to know whether something like this would be a big issue.
Thanks in advance-
Joe

ElQuesoGrande

Lantern Swinger
"160 UCAS points gained from Level 3 STEM qualifications (BTEC, A/A2/AS or equivalents) in an engineering discipline, or in maths and at least one in physical science, engineering or computing subject."

Means

It's in black and white.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The question asked, although not stated, is: "Are academic waivers available for this scheme?" Photography and an underscore in relevant A Level subjects...Hmmmn, Unsure - Really?

AS grades below B are not accepted, A2 below D is not accepted. Photography - is that a STEM subject?

Answer: Probably not, but worth an ask via your AFCO.

It's a cracking scheme, albeit over-subscribed & I cannot fault anyone wishing to explore the remote opportunity to double their starting wage and triple their advancement prospects.

Don't stop believing, but equally ask yourself whether joining as a bog standard technician would prevent you achieving a goal with rapid advancement despite falling short of the academic entry requirements for a fast-track scheme.

Sumo

War Hero
Speak to your AFCO, if you have a short fall, look at what it would take to fix it. As Ninja pointed out an over subscribed scheme so how long would be the wait after fixing any issues, compared to joining as a Tech and working your way up, takes a bit longer, but if you have the aptitude, you will get there?
Good luck

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer

Means

It's in black and white.

But do they really mean it?

SuperNova

How long would I have to sign up for as a submarine engineering technician? I'd assume it's not 12 years like the undergraduate scheme.

Also, it states on the technician page that i can study for GCSE's, a levels and NVQ's, so would it be possible for me to acquire my missing ucas points this way and then transfer to the undergraduate scheme?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
How long would I have to sign up for as a submarine engineering technician? I'd assume it's not 12 years like the undergraduate scheme.

Also, it states on the technician page that i can study for GCSE's, a levels and NVQ's, so would it be possible for me to acquire my missing ucas points this way and then transfer to the undergraduate scheme?
The Nuclear Undergraduate Scheme is an eight year contract. Everyone else joins on an initial 12-year contract, but you can opt out in the first 26 weeks or serve your minimum term which is 10 weeks Initial Naval Training + 30 weeks ET (ME or WE) training + 30 months Return of Service before you can submit 12 months notice to quit at any point thereafter.

The last time the NUGAS scheme was opened-up to 'in service' transfers it was heavily over-subscribed, but it is in theory, possible (albeit not a definite route). The only assured way to go NUGAS is to join as one.

The service will indeed help fund further educational qualifications through the Enhanced Learning Credit Scheme

Al1902

Midshipman
Hi,

I see that the scheme is oversubscribed. Would this mean it'll take perhaps longer for applicants to eventually enter basic training? Or does it mean entry standards are increased due to the amount of applications? I've got my interview on Monday for selection. FYI, I meet the entry standards having gained a BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering + a HNC. Just would like to know where I stand and how long it would take to join.

Thanks

Sumo

War Hero
Hi,

I see that the scheme is oversubscribed. Would this mean it'll take perhaps longer for applicants to eventually enter basic training? Or does it mean entry standards are increased due to the amount of applications? I've got my interview on Monday for selection. FYI, I meet the entry standards having gained a BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering + a HNC. Just would like to know where I stand and how long it would take to join.

Thanks
Ask on Monday, get answer from the horses mouth ?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi,

Thanks
Hi, the scheme is not oversubscribed to direct entrants, just 'in service' or sideways entrants. Off the top of my head there are two intakes a year in Sept and Jan but I'd need to double check that.

Al1902

Midshipman
AL1902 I mention Horses mouth and one just trots up, like magic?

Good luck Nuclear Undergraduate Scheme not a bad scheme, if you can get accepted on to it
Sumo, Ninja_Stoker,

Thanks for the info! I will ask directly during the interview for conformation. I have read somewhere that the intake is around 30 marine and 20 weapon engineers. That will also be another question! Thanks again.