Unsure about naval careers and qualifications

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by GingerNinja066, Aug 18, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to be a mechanical engineer (Im not not sure what kind) In the Royal Navy as it seems a good path to take when I leave school. I have looked into Navy jobs and it says you can join from 16 to 30 as an air engineer technician and have only GCSE qualifications. I am unsure of what grades, or whether I will be able to exceed higher in the navy with just my GCSEs, Could I have some more information please.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst you can join as a rating technician without any GCSEs, aged 16, you will be undergoing further education on your apprenticeship. If you have not at reached a pass standard in at least maths, English & physics whilst in education, there is a high probability you will not score high enough in the Recruiting Test for technical branches & even if you do, you will almost certainly struggle with branch training.

The tip? Remember we write to secondary schools for references, so ensure your punctuality & attendance is spot-on. For promotion beyond CPO you'll need GCSEs and the opportunity to gain them is never better than whilst in school. For promotion to Officer, after joining, you need a minimum of 5 GCSEs, including maths & English.

Good luck.

PS - You can't be ginger & a Ninja.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. For any RN engineering branch if you wish to progress up the ladder you will eventually need good maths skills.
    I joined as a REM(A) (AET in new money) and my maths skills left a lot to be desired as I found out when I did my LH course.
    The higher you progress the more maths you will need (for your courses you will rarely use maths in everyday situations).
    As an AET you will on progression be awarded qualifications (Foundation Degree) which are acceptable to universities as university entrance standard qualifications.
    My advice is concentrate on Maths and English, if frther tuition is available then grab it with both hands.
    If you intend taking the electrical route concentrate in the first instance on trigonometry, electrical calculations require a good understanding. You will also need to understand "J" notation and how to transform formulae
    Good luck, it's hard work but well worth the effort
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ah, the joys of 'J' notation........

I too was rubbish at maths at school and Mech's course had some really difficult maths - not covered at school in my day!

OP - get your head down at school - it will save you literally years of brainache!
  5. Transposition of formula was always the killer for me!

Junior JFH starts secondary school in Sept, so best start getting my head around it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Thanks for the replies .
  7. If I join with 5 GCSEs will I be able to exceed higher to an officer or something or will I need a degree or A levels.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

A Levels or degrees are not required after joining.
  9. I found transposition easy but "J" notation? Blew my brain and have never ever used it since.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. J notation (as I recall) - the sum won't work out. So introduce a made up thing, let's call it 'J' for that is its name (unless you are a civvy mathematician where I think it is called 'I'. Carry on fudging the sum until it all starts getting silly again, then ditch 'J'.

What is left is the answer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

J = Bigger Hammer :)
  12. Mathematicians call it "I" but as that would confuse us poor greenies in the engineering world it's called "J".

As I recall, it's used to work out the square root of a negative number, a skill I found very useful when trying to find a floating earth on a 24v system, especially in the bilges...not:confused:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. J or I is used as a false square root of -1 which of course does not have a mathematical square root (don't believe me try it on any calculator).
    It's now so long since I last had to use it (level 3 maths ONC in about 1980) that I can't even remember which calculations it was used for, think it was used in Calculus.
    Another useless skill aquired then swiftly forgotton, suppose it may have had some uses if I were a design and development engineer.
  14. The powers of an imaginary number o_O J, -1, -J, 1, J

I like...I think.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. OK - enough of all this maths. Can we get back to talking about poo, or ironing boards or something?