slim

War Hero
Wow i didnt think skills wpuld be transferrable in that way. Thank you

Could you tell me more about this education allowance? I have not yet heard of this. How does it work?
Thanks
I have been out too long to know what the current rates of Education Allowance are.
over to the guys who are still serving :)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Another question, what prospects would there be for a Weapons engineer after leaving, I'm thinking something like BAE? Am I around the right area? Thank you

I was a CPOWEA and ended up in the Type 45 Design Team at BAE Systems.

In between times I did Warship Trials for foreign navies, then Type 42 and CVS support for GEC/Marconi.

So the answer is yes!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Whilst still serving I did an HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering on day release., The Navy paid for it,as it was branch related, and the time off was classed as a duty, the University just sent a chit in every term to say I had attended every time. Education Allowance is ace although I don't know how much it is these days.

edited to add my son was an AET and did an HNC in Mechanical Design when he was at Culdrose, he's now an NDT structural engineer for Flybe, testing airframes and engines. The Navy paid for his HNC as well.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
OP - while long term planning is an admirable trait, how's about actually getting into the RN before worrying about a potential future employer that may not even exist when you come out in 22 years or whatever.

Just accept that yes, you WILL have a shed load of transferable skills - no matter what.

Waspie

War Hero
OP - while long term planning is an admirable trait, how's about actually getting into the RN before worrying about a potential future employer that may not even exist when you come out in 22 years or whatever.

Just accept that yes, you WILL have a shed load of transferable skills - no matter what.

So very true. The recession in 92 dashed all my dreams. BUT. Adapt and overcome. Looked at my strengths and changed direction swiftly. Not the career post RN I had envisaged. But - retired on more money than most civvies struggle working to attain.

Cross one bridge at a time. Prepare but don't expect the world to stand still!