Hello,
I have completed my application for a Weapons engineering technician and after a 5 or so month wait from August finally got my PRNC and Raleigh date which is another 6 months wait, however I how since been browsing forums and talking to people I know have realised that weapons engineering sounds more like the easier ride of the engineering branches, which is not who I am at all, the workload of a Marine engineering technician sounds more like me. My questions are: how late can you possibly change preferred roles, is it advisable to wait until the PRNC where I can talk to people already in? Also would it be advisable to change at all, especially after this long of a wait? Would it be a waste of my time seeing as that the Marine engineering wait time is significantly shorter (or so I hear).
Any advice is really appreciated,
Thank you.

Thank you for your reply, and so fast.
I was planning on calling my AFCO however I asked on here for a second opinion of sorts, from someone who was trying to help me rather than trying to recruit me, if you get What I'm saying.

Thank you for your reply, and so fast.
I was planning on calling my AFCO however I asked on here for a second opinion of sorts, from someone who was trying to help me rather than trying to recruit me, if you get What I'm saying.
You have to be aware opinions on here are exactly that. 'Opinions'. You need 'advice'. It's your future. Mess it up now and the consequences may be with you for some time.
Forget sarcastic reprobates like us on here and go to the source, (AFCO), who will give you the correct up to date no bullshit information/advice to assist you to make the correct decision.
I bet your not the first to have a change of heart regards career choice and I bet your not the last either.
Remember in these times recruiters have the choice of thousands of wanabee's. Yes, they want to recruit, it's what they get paid for, but its not like they get a bonus for who or how many. They just want the best for the Royal Navy not just numbers.
Good luck.

talking to people I know have realised that weapons engineering sounds more like the easier ride of the engineering branches,
As an ex-WE I wouldn't totally disagree. But - and there are always buts - this is due to the nature of the work. ME's will do a lot more watch keeping, have a lot of big heavy lumps to move around and fix and get dirtier. WE's may have an easier day to day role but - and again always buts - there may be a tendency for a WE to have his / her own section where they are the only 'expert', this can lead to long days. Many a time I have been doing or assisting in defect rectification for 24hrs non-stop so the Captain can use the radar/sonar/gun/missile system/etc. Most ships I was on, the ME department would share a major defect rectification because of the nature of the ME training. (Was certainly jealous of the ME department camaraderie at times).
which is not who I am at all, the workload of a Marine engineering technician sounds more like me
As well as mentioned above, you can work as hard as you want as a WE - no-one is stopping you. Especially if you wish to get promoted, go for officer and the like.

As mentioned many a time on this forum. Only you can make a decision but (there I go again!) get some 'official' advice. Either career path have good and bad points. Both have transferable skills.
Good luck

Thanks for your reply,
You do raise some good points and after calling my AFCO it does seem more like the navy gives you what you put in, so that sort of settles it for me.

Royal navy Engineering branch delivers some of the finest training going. It will set you up for life far beyond the service.
Once you have left these skills that you have been taught will stand you in good stead.
Don't go for a lesser branch just because you can get in earlier. Six months is not a long wait when you consider that you may be in for 22 years.

Once you have left these skills that you have been taught will stand you in good stead.
Another question, what prospects would there be for a Weapons engineer after leaving, I'm thinking something like BAE? Am I around the right area? Thank you

Another question, what prospects would there be for a Weapons engineer after leaving, I'm thinking something like BAE? Am I around the right area? Thank you
I left the RN as a POAEM(R) ie a WAFU pinky (Radio & Radar)
I joined BAe as a weapons engineer working on SINS (submariner equipement) Phalanx, and Sea Archer with no problems.
After leaving BAe I joined Molins Tobacco installing cigarette making equipement worldwide.
For a short time I worked for Legoland Windsor in Miniland which is PLC (programmable Logic Controller) controled.
So as you see three completely different environments. Remember Skills are transferrable.
My advice to you is if you decide to go into engineering use the annual education allowance every year, I did not find out about this allowance until I was 34. I used mine to obtain an ONC which was the same qualification that Artificers received.
Start planning for civilian life the day that you finish part 2 training.

Wow i didnt think skills wpuld be transferrable in that way. Thank you

Could you tell me more about this education allowance? I have not yet heard of this. How does it work?
Thanks

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
When I left as a POSA (Logistics in newspeak) I spent my allowance on a Management Diploma - I have never looked back, never did Logistics again

My first 2 employers were more interested in my all round management skills (plus of course my fire fighting, first aid, health and safety added on bonuses)

What they want is someone who will make a decision and stand by it (if made for the right reason/s) and has common sense ( a rare commodity these days)

I am just about to retire from the NHS as a General Manager (I reached the heights of Deputy Director with an organisation with a workforce of 7000 and an annual budget of £360 million)

In joining the services you gain far more than degrees, diplomas etc just by being part of it IMHO

Wow i didnt think skills wpuld be transferrable in that way. Thank you

Could you tell me more about this education allowance? I have not yet heard of this. How does it work?
Thanks
I have been out too long to know what the current rates of Education Allowance are.
over to the guys who are still serving :)

I was a CPOWEA and ended up in the Type 45 Design Team at BAE Systems.

In between times I did Warship Trials for foreign navies, then Type 42 and CVS support for GEC/Marconi.

So the answer is yes!

Whilst still serving I did an HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering on day release., The Navy paid for it,as it was branch related, and the time off was classed as a duty, the University just sent a chit in every term to say I had attended every time. Education Allowance is ace although I don't know how much it is these days.

edited to add my son was an AET and did an HNC in Mechanical Design when he was at Culdrose, he's now an NDT structural engineer for Flybe, testing airframes and engines. The Navy paid for his HNC as well.

OP - while long term planning is an admirable trait, how's about actually getting into the RN before worrying about a potential future employer that may not even exist when you come out in 22 years or whatever.

Just accept that yes, you WILL have a shed load of transferable skills - no matter what.

OP - while long term planning is an admirable trait, how's about actually getting into the RN before worrying about a potential future employer that may not even exist when you come out in 22 years or whatever.

Just accept that yes, you WILL have a shed load of transferable skills - no matter what.
So very true. The recession in 92 dashed all my dreams. BUT. Adapt and overcome. Looked at my strengths and changed direction swiftly. Not the career post RN I had envisaged. But - retired on more money than most civvies struggle working to attain.

Cross one bridge at a time. Prepare but don't expect the world to stand still!