Unreported loss of C130J

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by noemis, Feb 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay!! I know that this is more a Crab thing, but this is current affairs.

The RAF has lost it's first C130J, poor landing in Maysan province and subsequently decided it was too dangerous to repair in situ, so it was destroyed on the ground.

Anybody else feel a bit uneasy about the lack of info from officialdom?
  2. Sorry!! It was reported by the BBC but I missed it at the time!

Still, not much fuss about it!!
  3. Because no-one died and it didn't involve pretty pictures to be put on TV.

Not the Beeb's cup of tea at all.
  4. Noemis,
    It was reported but do not assume the cause. let's just be thankful everyone got out.
  5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Absolutely.... bear in mind that in an operational theatre it may take time for any detailed reason to catch up with the spokespeople, and there may be good reasons not to reveal any specific details - but the spokesman quoted was not fibbing when he said it wasn't shot down.....
  6. A poor landing in my book is one you can't take off from again! Slightly different from a crash!! Anyhow, it's not going to fly again!!

I too am glad that everyone got out!
  7. Without being too nasty its the same sort of reporting that puts the latest poor sod from the sandy place getting blown away on the seventh page and the latest goings on of some fat bird with no brain from a so called reality TV (nothing real in any of these) on the front page! The country doesn't give a pink poo about the people who put their lives on the line for it - never did!
  8. Maybe the C130J was being flown by the RAF Groundcrew's favourite Sunday Times-featured pilot - see here!
  9. Preliminary report says that it was likely wrecked by an IED complete with a copper Explosive Formed Penetrator [EFP].

10. Unfortunately the conflicts/wars we are involved with at the minute are not particularly popular so the press can be pretty choosey about what they put where. If we were actually making progress in any of them then it would probably be quite different.