"Unofficial" status

Ballistic

War Hero
The Home Page on this site used to make it pretty clear that this was an unofficial site for Navy items.

I've had a good look and I can't find any reference any more to Rum Ration's (Navy Net) unofficial status.

It's been noticeable that a number of recent new posters appear to be unaware of this, asking for advice, regulations, medical standards and so on.
The responses vary from "Ask the AFCO" and "Use the search function" to other, er... less benign reactions.

I'm wondering if it might be helpful to make new posters aware of exactly what this site is all about, like the Home Page used to :)

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Agreed - I seem to recall there was a front page previously, not sure why it went. Would certainly be useful to have an explanation of what we are about instead of going straight into the forums.

Paging @Bad CO

mikh

MIA
I think the web page name change to Navy Net - The Royal Navy Community, makes it sound a little more official than Rum Ration. Throw in the fact that Mod News gets more new threads than any other section.

Edited re the ARRSE bit and mod news, I did not look hard enough, so I deleted that bit

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
I had put the MoD news bit on ignore and it was blissful, but I changed it back recently just for a look-see. There are actually some interesting articles but the problem is that they are lost while it is on perma-send and they come out at a rate Goalkeeper would be proud of.

Thinking of putting it back in ignore just so the "What's New" is a little less cluttered. Not sure yet.

slim

War Hero
I had put the MoD news bit on ignore and it was blissful, but I changed it back recently just for a look-see. There are actually some interesting articles but the problem is that they are lost while it is on perma-send and they come out at a rate Goalkeeper would be proud of.

Thinking of putting it back in ignore just so the "What's New" is a little less cluttered. Not sure yet.
I take a quick glance to see if they have anything worth readu=ing and then at the end of my session Mark All posts as read

Bad CO

Admin
A few separate issues here:
  • Front page - we did used to have one but it became a pain to keep up to date so we set it to the forum front page. I have an ongoing project to put in place a system that will allow moderators to post good quality threads and content into a page that can be used as the front page
  • Unofficial - anyone who is daft enough to think this is an official website is probably isn't going to take much notice of a large sign saying 'this isn't an official website'
  • MoD_News- this is an automated feed from the government's website. I did it on the grounds that it might be a way to stimulate discussion. Unfortunately they don't have publish some guff. Happy to remove it if that is the consensus?

slim

War Hero
A few separate issues here:
  • Front page - we did used to have one but it became a pain to keep up to date so we set it to the forum front page. I have an ongoing project to put in place a system that will allow moderators to post good quality threads and content into a page that can be used as the front page
  • Unofficial - anyone who is daft enough to think this is an official website is probably isn't going to take much notice of a large sign saying 'this isn't an official website'
  • MoD_News- this is an automated feed from the government's website. I did it on the grounds that it might be a way to stimulate discussion. Unfortunately they don't have publish some guff. Happy to remove it if that is the consensus?
They do put some interesting stuff on.
I clear everything that I do not want to read at the end of my session just by marking everything as read.
Problem with stopping the feed is that then the interesting articles will never be seen

They do put some interesting stuff on.
I clear everything that I do not want to read at the end of my session just by marking everything as read.
Problem with stopping the feed is that then the interesting articles will never be seen
The one entitled 'Appointments to the Northern Irish Drainage Council' was a corker... ;)