Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unmanned 'spy' boats......

Waspie

War Hero
Ahh so now it's a 'spy boat'!!!

It was a unmanned scientific research vessel last week!!!

Any takers for next week?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Ahh so now it's a 'spy boat'!!!

It was a unmanned scientific research vessel last week!!!

Any takers for next week?
Them ones is supposed to be orange with radar reflectors, this was a grey one who may have been doing naughty things. As the article says, scientific ones tend to be reclaimed by the companies as they're not cheap.

I prefer conspiracy theories over mundane facts anyway.

fishhead

War Hero
Most items of electronic equipment nowadays are sold having a serial number. I'm assuming the ones found have had theirs removed or their owners could be identified. The manufacturers must have some idea who their customers are and be able to give some pointers to investigators.

Waspie

War Hero
Memory muscle just kicked in.

Many many years ago, before the age of this type of tech. I was flying around the Western Isles out of Prestwick Ayrshire in one of the mobs Sea Kings!!
Operations came up, go to Oban area and have a mooch and see if you can see or find a submarine!!!
(A Bristows aircrew had spotted a S/M periscope, not just any periscope but a Tango class!! in a very sensitive area). Ordinarily, we'd be suspicious as to the classification of an actual Tango but when the source was named it was game on. The guy had taught S/M recognition prior to leaving the RN.
Also, Faslane could account for all her boats as could the Yanks at Holy Loch!!!!
Long story cut short.
After an overnight at Benbecula, we were back looking the next morning, now joined by a second Sea King. By the end of the day, we were now at Stornaway and seven aircraft strong. (One SK had had a couple of positive 'pings' on a contact and the crabs had a couple off their Jezz bouys.
Seven weeks later and the now 'Air Wing' embarked on Argus, (being dragged off work up at Portland), it was called off as 'intelligence suggested it was now in deep water!!!!
So maybe the 'spy boat' has more to it given where it was washed up!!!!

Dit over, back to bed everyone!!!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
There always used to be an AGI off Malin Head. To me, it is not inconceivable that 'they' are using small unmanned craft similar to to this to track movements in that general area. In these days of satellite and inteweb it is entirely possible that somebody in a Portacabin somewhere even colder than Faslane, is controlling these things.

As the two already recovered are 'wrecked' we may not know what their capabilities are/were. Yet.

Waspie

War Hero
There always used to be an AGI off Malin Head. To me, it is not inconceivable that 'they' are using small unmanned craft similar to to this to track movements in that general area. In these days of satellite and inteweb it is entirely possible that somebody in a Portacabin somewhere even colder than Faslane, is controlling these things.

As the two already recovered are 'wrecked' we may not know what their capabilities are/were. Yet.
Remember the Malin Head AGI well. Dawn phot sessions!!!
Then in April 1982 the normal Okean AGI was replaced by the state of the art Primoryei Class!!!!
Then the fun began. A plethora of soviet S/M's trying to get into the Clyde!!! For why I can only guess - (Raised eyebrows).
That was my my Falklands Campaign, Barrier Ops Rathlin - Mull of Kintyre, then sweeping the Irish Sea!!! Went through a few brooms I can tell ya!!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
For those (perhaps some of our younger readers) that don't know what an AGI is/was, it was simply a poor Soviet fishing boat........ covered in aerials and sensors..... merely catching fish. Near our submarine diving areas. They looked like this:

1602249910480.png

However, what a lot of people didn't know at the time was, like an iceberg, there was quite a bit going on below the waterline...... yep - those are torpedo tubes.

agi torpedo tube.jpeg

Waspie

War Hero
AGI - Alien Gatherer of Intelligence. aka - "Spy Boat". Very versatile at doing what they do.
Do they still have the opsec states when one is offshore??

Primary Class Intelligence gatherer, circa 1980's!!!
Unknown-1.jpeg

Last edited:

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
On Britain's largest warship when QE went on her first deployment I think it shows that everything went very quiet due to an AGI being nearby.

Waspie

War Hero
On Britain's largest warship when QE went on her first deployment I think it shows that everything went very quiet due to an AGI being nearby.
Just goes to prove, Cold War days haven't totally gone away!!!

I honed my Blue Peter skills on the back of the Cold War!!!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Safe overflight of people by Unmanned Aircraft Systems MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New laws to combat illegal use of unmanned aircraft and modernise airspace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next generation unmanned system unveiled at DSEi MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dstl to develop conceptual unmanned aircraft for RAF MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl participates in the latest unmanned systems military exercise - Autonomous Warrior 18 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy gets first unmanned minesweeping system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: MAST goes into action at Unmanned Warrior MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK and France begin build of unmanned mine clearance craft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy tests unmanned fleet of the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: MOD and ASV Global sign agreement for unmanned surface vehicle software MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Unmanned ground vehicle localisation without GNSS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Live maps for unmanned air systems MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary secures progress on Brimstone sales as unmanned aircraft... MoD News 0
Naval_Gazer Ministry of Defence plans new wave of unmanned marine drones The Quarterdeck 15
M Channel 4 Series - Could you be a spy? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 10
soleil The Sun: "007: The Spy Who Subbed Me" Submariners 32
M Prison for Canadian navy officer turned Russian spy Current Affairs 1
TeddyT Belgian spy games Current Affairs 1
Rumrat My night as a spy. The Gash Barge 53
EarlyChop MI6 Spy death. Diamond Lil's 0
soleil BBC News: "Two Nimrod UK Spy Planes Reprieved Until June At Least" Current Affairs 26
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp PORTSMOUTH MP's Assistant is a Spy? Current Affairs 26
fishhead Pompey MP employs an alleged Russian Spy Current Affairs 0
Scouse_Castaway Japanese Spy in WW2 History 1
S Female Russian Spy Diamond Lil's 9
soleil BBC: "Joint Strike Fighter: Jet That's A 'Spy In The Sky'" The Fleet Air Arm 9
sgtpepperband BBC: "Phantom Eye hydrogen-powered spy plane unveiled" Current Affairs 8
soleil Herald: "Malaysian Medals for Bill's Spy Sub Mission" Submariners 1
jesse The portland and other R.N. Spy scandles History 24
soleil NY Times: "French Spy Sonar Lost Overboard in Trial Mishap" Current Affairs 0
chieftiff Big Brother Britain: Government and councils to spy on ALL Current Affairs 37
N Iranian Spy/Surveillance Base Current Affairs 2
wet_blobby BBC spy for insurgents Diamond Lil's 6
MoD_RSS Fire and Rescue Service Boats report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defra seeks views on expanding use of monitoring technology on fishing boats MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First boats set to pass through the new Boston Barrier MoD News 0
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
soleil The Maritime Executive: "How the Royal Navy Searches Boats for Narcotics" The Fleet 6
MoD_RSS Britain and France to strengthen joint action against small boats MoD News 0
janner Collins Class Boats Submariners 1
MoD_RSS Smart boats could revolutionise UK fishing and seafood industries MoD News 0
Wee-lad Stay on the merchant path or go boats Joining the Royal Navy 7
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
B Choice of boats Submariners 28
Tui Bird Noisy submerged diesel boats Submariners 10
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Press & Journal: "Royal Navy Patrol Boats In Tour Of The North" SCC and URNU 0
janner Canadian U Boats. Submariners 7
skyvet A tribute to Astute boats Submariners 10
janner A Boats Submariners 1