Unknown RN ship

Discussion in 'History' started by BruceF, Mar 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After the recentdeath of an uncle I came into the possession of a number of photo’s of RN warships from the period 1939 – 1955. I suspect that the photo’s are actually from my father who served in the RN from 1940 – 1953 (his brothers all served in the RN as well). Does anybody know what type of ship this is? The class? Or anyother information.

Attached Files:

• HMS.jpg
      File size:
      39.5 KB
  2. That could be a early phot of HMS Reclaim...it's very similar...Will have a mooch and see what I can find.
  3. I was going to say, some sort of droggy conversion from a Flower, but the back end's all wrong. So a sort of stretched Flower- droggy- thing, or a minelayer/diving tender. Someone help me out....

still think there's a Flower in it somewhere though.
  4. Wasn't it the Reclaim that was a diving tender which was struck and sunk in the Forth of Forth?

I was on a course with a Stoker off Reclaim when it was sunk. He was a chap not to be near. He left the mob after ditching in a Sea King in the Bay of Biscay!!!
  5. Waspie

Did you not say in a previous thread that he was a L/S Sonar, not a stoker?
  6. 1. Waspie answer the question.
    2. Aft of te Fxle looks like the Plover
  7. [​IMG]

HMS Plover ... similar but not the same!
  8. [​IMG]

Flower class ... not that either
  9. Sol, TBH I can't remember. He ended up as a Sonar Op in S/Kings so I may have 'assumed he was a sonar rate as that's what the aircrewman branch liked to recruit from). Due to the time between then and now I can't remember if he was L/S Sonar or a Stoker. I remember him saying he dragged a young stoker from a hatch as it was going down/slipping off the other vessels bow. (Hence my 'assumption' he may have been a stoker.) I may try and ask a few of the remaining guys left off the course if I can trawl them from FB).
  10. [​IMG]

Not Reclaim either!
  11. http://www.navy-net.co.uk/history/47332-hms-challenger-3.html
  12. Had a look through Janes looks a we bit like one of the 31 trawlers Isles class ???
  13. true, but my modified Flower looks more like it than your unmodified one.... sorry, other way round, yours is the modified one, mine the unmodified...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  14. It is HMS SKYE isle class

Attached Files:

15. Scouse, that does look remarkably like it, thanks.
  16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Looking at the scuttles and also at the after end and at the mast, I think not Skye herself but one of that class. My initial bet was minelayer.
  17. The ship sunk in collision with the German container ship Plainsman in fog in the Firth of Forth on 10 Aug 1976 was HMS Reward. She was subsequently salvaged.

The mystery ship certainly looks like a converted Isles class Admiralty trawler with a deckhouse added forward of the bridge, possibly to provide extra accommodation for trainees. The class comprised 145 vessels built between 1940 and 1944 including 16 built in Canada for the RCN. They were used for a multitude of roles and 13 failed to survive hostilities. After the war, a few continued serving with the RN until the 1960s but many were dispersed to other countries for government and commercial use. She might also be one of the nine-strong Military class (1942-44) which was very similar.
  18. BruceF, it is an Isle Class Minesweeping Trawler that has been converted after the war. Check out the picture on the Wikipedia page on Isle Class. I have a book with a picture of HMS Gorregan, that is a dead ringer for your picture. Obviously the real giveaway would be a pennant number, however, having checked out the general layout of both pictures I would say that the position of the scuttles, the ventilor by the funnel, the ladder going up to the bridge and the paravane hoists on the stern. The two masts are also identical. So, I would bet my boots on an Isle Class.