university whilst in service

Apologies if this is an ignorant question with an obvious answer, but is it ever possible for an officer to get leave in order to attend university?

I am currently at university and am fully intending to join as a marine engineering officer once my course is complete. However, I was considering only doing a BEng and then supplementing this with hopefully an MSc in marine engineering. Would the masters degree have to be done before joining the Navy if it is something that I wanted to do, or is it something that I can do whilst in the Navy (seeing as it is directly beneficial towards my role)?

Many thanks

There are a slack handful of MSc available (for free) every year. Typically about two years after you finish your deputy's job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but what do you mean by 'deputy's job'?. And also, is the university you get to go to (if you get the opportunity) of your choosing? Thanks

Your first job once qualified will be as the Deputy Marine Engineer Officer at sea.

I don't know how the process works, but most of the guys I know went to Imperial to do their Masters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies if this is an ignorant question with an obvious answer, but is it ever possible for an officer to get leave in order to attend university?

I am currently at university and am fully intending to join as a marine engineering officer once my course is complete. However, I was considering only doing a BEng and then supplementing this with hopefully an MSc in marine engineering. Would the masters degree have to be done before joining the Navy if it is something that I wanted to do, or is it something that I can do whilst in the Navy (seeing as it is directly beneficial towards my role)?

Many thanks
As an alternative, you could do an MSc by online distance learning. As long as you have internet access you can complete an MSc in approximately 3 years while continuing with the day job. I did mine through Robert Gordon University. Not saying that there is an ODL MSc in Marine Engineering but it is something to consider.

The Senior Observer on 899 (oh the irony) was sent to Cambridge to do a Masters degree all paid for (fees, accom etc). This was a few years ago mind you.

One of our RNA serving members did a Masters paid for by pusser.