University undergrad confused with admissions process

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by zopah, Mar 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I've just come back from a meeting with the local AFCO, I've got my careers pack and application form. I'm just a bit confused - I'm a foundation year student at the University of Southampton, and I'm on a 5 year course (so I finish with an MEng Computer Science). Basically, I'm interested in becoming a Weapons Engineering Officer. That's my end goal in terms of university etc. I have about 360 UCAS points at the present moment, I think the foundation year is worth a certain amount as well, if successfully completed.

What I'm interested in is either a) Cadetships or b) DTUS, but the bloke at the AFCO was a bit generic about these and basically just told me to do the application form and those sort of things come into play at a later stage in the process.

My question is, to those who are familiar with either scheme, is it possible to get DTUS sponsorship as a Computer Science undergrad? And equally, how does the applications process to join the Navy look if one is going to be at university for a few more years?

Many thanks,
    Zopah

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. I have no idea but you might want to take your full name out of your post?

3. Sorry, force of habit, corrected.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cadetships only apply to Medics and Dentists.
    DTUS v Bursary: DTUS (Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme) is only available at certain Universities (7 I think), including Southampton. As long as you are doing an engineering degree, I think you're ok.

As a priority, you need to see the ACLO for your area to discuss Officer career options.
    Usually a Bursary is applied for before going to University and it only applies for a Bachelors degree. As you are doing a foundation year, you may still be able to apply, however previous (ACLO) point applies!