University etc

Sentenashi

War Hero
Right, I'm being bombarded my teachers to start thinking about university. I don't want to go to university.

What are the options if I fail selection? My preference would be to apply as early as possible, and if I fail apply to uni.

What is the earliest I can apply for an officer place as opposed to a scholarship? And can I do my uni application when I'm doing all that and cancel it if I get a place at BRNC?

Ta.

AngryMonkey

Lantern Swinger
There's no ironclad commitment to a university if they offer you a place you can decline or differ it as you want to but its probably best to not muck them about too much so as long as you give them reasonable notice it should be cool. The only people who might give you gyp are the student loans lot so be careful what you sign in regards to them. No idea about scholarships probably best to ask the AFCO. All the best

Powder

Lantern Swinger
I am the same age as you I guess (upper sixthform 17/18). I am currently working my way through the selection process as we speak, PJFT and medical next month.
I would apply to university just incase something goes tits up in the selection. Like AM said, you can always cancel last minute, lots of people do (especially forgein students, so they are used to it)

I would apply to university, but I am lucky enough to have a really good backup plan, IF it fails.

SRT1

Badgeman
If you don't want to go to University then why treat it as a backup option at all? It's expensive and you won't benefit from that expense unless you actually want to be there.

Personally I would say if you don't want to go, then don't go, the application process for officer can now take anywhere up to a year so I would say if you are just starting upper sixth then its perhaps time to start the ball rolling now.

As far as a backup (not saying you won't pass AIB but it is wise to consider the options and given your age it is not unlikely) I would encourage you to think outside the university box. Again I have no crystal ball but there are a number of areas at the AIB you can really control, naval knowledge, fitness, current affairs, practicing psycometric tests, maths etc.

There are also a number of areas you can't firmly control, these mainly centre on your life experience, leadership abilities, teamwork skills, calmness under pressure etc. The most common reason for not quite passing AIB in school leavers is this area. The board will either reccomend you don't come back at all (hopefully they don't in your case) or that you go away and get some life experience before coming back.

Now you can either go and get a job at your local supermarket or in an office, in which case you won't have a great chance of experiencing much worth shouting about or you can do something more constructive.

There are a multitude of organisations that run gap years which are more than just travelling around Thailand getting pissed at full moon parties, you can go and volunteer in a developing country, teach english as a foreign language, go mountaineering, all of which develop leadership, independence, confidence etc. Go back to the board after this and when they say "what have you done to develop yourself since your last visit" you will be able to really impress them, plus you'll have the time of your life.

Of course this is only a backup and hopefully you won't need it, start the process and do all you can to give yourself the best chance of passing first time, but don't be pushed down the uni road if you don't wan't to be - it really isn't right for everyone and schools find it all too easy to ignore that these days.

Check out some of these if any of this has tickled your fancy:

Lattitude

Real Gap

Projects Abroad

VSO

Powder

Lantern Swinger
I agree with Chris. I also think that a lot of people go to University, because their school or parents have suggested them to, or they have got it into their heads that they need to go to university in order to get a well paid job, or its just the next plot on the educational timeline that needs to be ticked off. It doesnt really seem for me tbh. I know a lot of people that have been (inc my sister) She managed to get a 2:1 despite bunking lessons and going out drinking 4/5 times a night. Don't know about you, but I would rather do something more productive. Its a lot of time and money wasted on a certificate imo.
There are a multitude of organisations that run gap years which are more than just travelling around Thailand getting pissed parties, you can go and volunteer in a developing country, teach english as a foreign language, go mountaineering, all of which develop leadership.
Exactly! I have a friend who did this after A-levels and he has had the time of his life! Hes travelled all over the world, then he wanted to actually go back and help people out. Hes working with Unicef, teaching in the slums of India, hitchhiking from East to West coast of America, Backpacking across NZ and Aus. I would love to do a ski season in Canada.

Before completely discounting university a couple of points to consider. First no matter how certain you are now that you will stay in the RN for a full career till 55 remeber many who have joined with that intention change their view at some point during their service. On that basis it may make sense to have something up ones sleave so as to speak. The other thing to consider is that for many jobs a degree is the basic entry point today. If you do not have a degree your CV will never get any where mear the real sift point as you will not meet the basic job spec so your CV will go straight in the bin. IN the job I am in now I would not be hired today.

Powder

Lantern Swinger
Maxi_77 said:
Before completely discounting university a couple of points to consider. First no matter how certain you are now that you will stay in the RN for a full career till 55 remeber many who have joined with that intention change their view at some point during their service.
True. That's why I guess its lucky to be entering as a pilot. I can't imagine a Submarine Officer will find it easy to find a new job when leaving the service.
About AIB not accepting lads our age because of not enough life experience; This is why I am apply as a voluntary firefighter when I turn 18 for the local firestation, as part of my DofE scheme. Also have lots of other stuff, but not going to bore you with it.
What would you guys recomend for gain Life experience. Afterall we are 17, 18 at max, we are in full time education and are restricted by parents or not being over 18 of commitments otherwise.

slim

War Hero
Powder said:
Maxi_77 said:
Before completely discounting university a couple of points to consider. First no matter how certain you are now that you will stay in the RN for a full career till 55 remeber many who have joined with that intention change their view at some point during their service.
True. That's why I guess its lucky to be entering as a pilot. I can't imagine a Submarine Officer will find it easy to find a new job when leaving the service.
About AIB not accepting lads our age because of not enough life experience; This is why I am apply as a voluntary firefighter when I turn 18 for the local firestation, as part of my DofE scheme. Also have lots of other stuff, but not going to bore you with it.
What would you guys recomend for gain Life experience. Afterall we are 17, 18 at max, we are in full time education and are restricted by parents or not being over 18 of commitments otherwise.

So you think that being a qualified service pilot will open more doors in civie street han being an occifer in the submarine service?
Think again, there are more qualified civilian pilots chasing flying jobs than vacancies and it has been that way for anumber of years

A

angrydoc

And submariners have an understanding of matters nuclear that the power industry is keen to harness!

Don't assume if you don't know the facts.

Ja5on

War Hero
angrydoc said:
And submariners have an understanding of matters nuclear that the power industry is keen to harness!

Don't assume if you don't know the facts.

Failing that they can become drag queens :p with their relevent experiences

Sentenashi

War Hero
I'm not in the upper sixth, I've just started year 12, I'm 16. My understanding was that you can apply when you're 17, which in my case would still be in year 12.

Atleast, I understand and hope.