unit names

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by D_B_D, Oct 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i was looking at unit rotations for the rest of 2009/2010 to afghan this morning

came across some for US army. they have pretty cool/lame( depends which way you look at it) names for their brigades such as blackhawk, greywolf, warhorse, panther, stryker, ironman, dagger.

my question is does the british armed forces have units which have their own nicknames? for example i presume the desert rats is one?

i also read ed macys apache, he refers in that about it. i believe a callsign for AH-64 was steelrain etc.

sorry for completely unrelevant/crap post

2. I tell you what mate i often thought that, as with the various ops i have been on, the yanks always call theirs something out of Hollywood. And the British is usually something out of the Oxford Dictonary.

Just courious as to to where you got those brigade names from ? as i have herd of Greyfox (HUSH HUSH)
  3. Sry mate just noticed i typed in Greyfox which is Spec Ops a combination of CIA, Delta, Seals etc hence me writing hush hush
  4. Off the top of my head. :D
    40 Cdo RM...The Sunshine boys.
    42 Cdo RM... Ladyboy Hunters.
    45 Cdo RM...Scottish Foreign Legion.
    Cdo Logs...Steely Eyed Blanket Stackers of Death.
    RMR... Rubber Daggers
  5. and don't even get us started on ship names :roll: :roll: :roll:
  6. Or branch nicknames
  7. Go on :D
  8. haha thats classic!
  9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Indeed it is. Both the 7th Armoured Brigade (red rat) and the 4th Armoured Brigade (black rat) had this title, used to good effect on Granby. I was with the 4th. Sadly, it has now become 4th Mechanised Brigade based in Catterick but still has the black jerboa as it's badge. God knows if it is still referred to as the Desert Rats though. Others are:

Signals - Scaleybacks/Bleeps
    Engineers - Wedges
    Guards - Woodentops
    Life Guards/Blues & Royals - Donkey Wallopers
    Pioneers - Chunkies
    Intelligence Corps - Green Slime
    Royal Military Police - Monkeys/Cnuts
    Royal Logistic Corps - Loggies
    Royal Artillery - 5 mile snipers/dropshorts

To name but a few.