Union with the french

Discussion in 'History' started by trufflehunter, Jan 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have a look at this blokes...we very nearly became the european superpower. Of course there would've been difficulties, but an opportunity missed i think, particularly in light of their shiny new flattop!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6261885.stm

2. Bloody close shave there then!

3. And there was me thinking this thread was about Hig's french encounter again! Silly me!

4. i'm glad we got that out of the way...now let us never speak of it again

5. Closer call was that Churchill offered them union in 1940.

6. However, the Germans got there before us - as usual :wink:

7. Been to france many a time I think they are wonderful people.[​IMG]

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes." —Mark Twain

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." —Norman Schwartzkopf

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it." —Marge Simpson

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure." —Jacques Chirac, President of France

"As far as France is concerned, you're right." —Rush Limbaugh

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee." —Regis Philbin

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know." —P.J O'Rourke (1989)

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it." —John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

"They've taken their own precautions against Al Qaeda. To prepare for an attack, each Frenchman is urged to keep duct tape, a white flag, and a three-day supply of mistresses in the house." —Argus Hamilton

"The only way the French are going in is if we tell them we found truffles in Iraq." —Dennis Miller

"I would call the French scumbags, but that, of course, would be a disservice to bags filled with scum. I say we invade Iraq, then invade Chirac." —Dennis Miller

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret. He IS French, people." —Conan O'Brien

"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get Saddam out of Iraq. After all, France wouldn't help us get the Germans out of France!" —Jay Leno

"The last time the French asked for 'more proof,' it came marching into Paris under a German flag." —David Letterman

How many Frenchmen does it take to change a light bulb?
    One. He holds the bulb and all of Europe revolves around him.

An old saying: Raise your right hand if you like the French.... Raise both hands if you are French.

Next time there's a war in Europe, the loser has to keep France.

8. At the time we were starting to give the colonies back - we didn't need another one. Although it would have been a better nuclear test sight than Australia.

9. indeed! let not this horrible spectre darken this hallowed place........

though having the french people under british rule does have a certain je ne sais pas? nest pas?

lol

10. It was probably Higs French Encounter that stopped it!

11. ermmm I think I can already speak french well enough.........so dont need any more help...

*&**%$,,,****% ,,,,*&&&&%%%%$............ see bet you all knew what I just siad......... :twisted:

12. Ho ho what a witty thread - you muppets!!
    We have lived here in france for five years and to be honest we have found them nice people, polite friendly and any other adjective you'd like to use.
    Taking the piss out of the french and the way the conducted them selves during the last two world wars is a bit of an oddity from people that have never experienced being in a state of occupation.
    At least they had the courage of their convictions and didn't get involved in this hideous Iraq war as opposed to noise up the 'arris of Ol' Sugar, Blair!!

13. Thats all well and good but they're still French!! :razz:

14. So Britain has never been occupied?
    I guess the Romans, the Vikings, The Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Normans just came on holiday then?

15. Get out of here you pair of muppets! Hardly think the Romans two thousand odd years ago was the same! Can you remember that then Mr Green? And tell me about the Vikings,Angles, Saxons and Jutes while you are at it!
    And RNMA is that it then "they are french" hardly a constructive critiscm is it?
    Come on give us better reasons than that!! Ones that I can shoot you down in crap with!

16. OK Polycell, tell me just HOW MANY French people have great recollection of occupation under the Germans then? WWII ended 60 years ago so there can't be too many out of the current population and those that do remember would have been quite young.
    Taking the piss out of the cheese eating surrender monkeys is part of being English, just the same as the skirt wearing savages from sweatysockland, and no doubt the sheep loving druids and bog wallowers take the piss out of us. I'm sure that the frogs are quite happy to poke fun at the English in equal measure. The Aussies and kiwis take the piss out of each other and take the piss out of us poms.
    There's a world of difference between take the piss out of people from different countries and cultures and wanting to do them harm.

Mind you, Nelson did have a certain way with words...

"Firstly, you must always implicitly obey orders, without attempting to form any opinion of your own regarding their propriety.
    Secondly, you must consider every man your enemy who speaks ill of your king;
    and thirdly you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil."

I have, apparently, French blood in me (as well as Dutch, Romany and possibly even Russian) so I have some major familly tree research to do. When I find the French bit I'll cut it out.

On a more serious note, having discounted emigrating to Aus, I am looking into moving to France (maybe Brittany or Normandy) when I eventually retire. And yes, I have found the French people that I've met to be quite nice. Though Hig has probably more to say about British/French relations.

17. Yes Jimmy Green the french take the piss out of us Brits they call us 'ross biffs' (roast beef) cos they think its our stable diet! I ain't got a problem with you or anyone taking the rise out of the french you are welcome but just to hate them cos they are french is a little bit off. I~ tell you what laugh you may!! but they are a bloody well more polite than us Brits and in some instances more helpful. I can tell many a story where we have been in a 'bit of trouble' and a french person has come to our aid. From sliding sideways down a hill in our van and tottering precarelessly on the edge of a ditch a lady who was also struggling to maintain a straight line stopped and asked if we wanted help. To meandering around a french village lost when an old lady came from her house to give us direction.
    And how many french people remember being occupied by the Germans? Well quite a few here in lower Brittany!!