Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Union Street

stoker-steam

Badgeman
Diamond Lil's.jpg

Hi Folks, I well remember The Star, and those bloody brain debilitating scrumpy mixes that our clan of Stokers used to conjure up, :sleepy3: And of course BooB's, but I am lost on Diamond Lil's. I think it was behind the Castle, could anyone shed some light please?

Cheers, Chris.

stoker-steam

Badgeman
Thanks Rab, so it was not behind the Castle, my memory is fading. I think BooB's went on to be Choo Choo's but I had long left by then.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Why was it that the 'midnight stripper' when we were alongside usually had the Cox'n and the Chief Stoker in addition to the St Budeaux lovelies?

Polto

War Hero
Diamond lils used to be behind the castle. You went in the door at the front, turn right for the castle (bar with dart board), or just go straight on to diamond lils...

slim

War Hero
View attachment 5846

Hi Folks, I well remember The Star, and those bloody brain debilitating scrumpy mixes that our clan of Stokers used to conjure up, :sleepy3: And of course BooB's, but I am lost on Diamond Lil's. I think it was behind the Castle, could anyone shed some light please?

Cheers, Chris.

Diamond Lills entrance was a door next to the Castle, in fact if Ronnie Potter the owner of both Lills and the Castle:clap: was in a good mood and you had been drinking in the Castle for most of the evening he would let you in for FREE!.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Diamond lils used to be behind the castle. You went in the door at the front, turn right for the castle (bar with dart board), or just go straight on to diamond lils...

Spot on.you've stirred the grey cells there Nick.

bubblyrat

Midshipman
I remember Union Strasse fondly ; getting a tattoo done by "Professor Rex Zeta " , drinking in the Palace Long Bar , trying to trap at the "Royal Naval School Of Dancing"- there was a good Chinky Nosh near the railway bridge , I seem to recall , although that was for Seamen & Stokers ; we AED Airey Fairy - types dined at The Berni Grand on The Hoe (naturally ).

Sumo

War Hero
My grey cells are going but wasn't The Castle just on the corner of the Octagon or am I in totally the wrong area?

Rab the picky shows the castle the building behind was befor the Octagon, pub of a few names over the years, If I remember the beer keller was also by the Castle?

lsadirty

War Hero
There was also THE STAR OF THE WEST, just off the Strasse, another scrumpy house where the clientele was a bit rougher than the STAR (yes, it's possible). Sadly now long gone, tarmacked over and the site of a car park.You could order a pint and a blow job in the old days.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The Star was always Sovereigns JR's meeting place back in the 70's, the landlord knew us all and would let us cash cheques for £20 (limit on bank cards in them thar days) and that kept you going for a while as it was 35p per pint :)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Bier Kellar was in the back of the London Bar.

Ah, the Bier Kellar..... where it was mandatory to nick a litre stein, which shattered when you filled it from the tea urn in the galley next morning!

Happy daze!

I remember Union Street being from the railway bridge (where Toys'r'us is now) all the way down to the Stonehouse roundabout. The closer you go to Stonehouse, the cheaper the booze got! Lots of cracking second hand shops in those days too.

Sumo

War Hero
Ah, the Bier Kellar..... where it was mandatory to nick a litre stein, which shattered when you filled it from the tea urn in the galley next morning!

Happy daze!

I remember Union Street being from the railway bridge (where Toys'r'us is now) all the way down to the Stonehouse roundabout. The closer you go to Stonehouse, the cheaper the booze got! Lots of cracking second hand shops in those days too.

And the closer to Stonehouse the ruffer they got, my Cider hole used to be united service just before stonehouse roundabout, where you could get a gallon carry out which was a 10 pint bottle, twats were trying to wreck my kidneys. oh the crazy days of purple parashoots

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
.......oh the crazy days of purple parashoots

We introduced lots of female guests to the joys of Purple Parachutes during mess socials..............
Had to use Blackthorn and Woods or Lambs.

Once had them on a run in the Burg with Diamond White and Pusser's!

Sumo

War Hero
A gallon carry out that was a TEN pint bottle? No wonder all those pubs have shut down!

The extra 2 pints were evil made my head hurt and shit go through the eye of a needle?

I think the times and cost of cider killed them off.

Back in the 70’s UK slapped a tax on French wine as it had high alcohol content; the French said they would do that to our cider as it was stronger than their wine?

That started the wrong people drinking cider and forcing the price up, so the dive frequenters could no longer afford
Then idiots started to look into the process of making scumpy, something to do with health and safety and rotting apples did not match, so to comply with rules cost went up.
So I recon you can blame the French, Yuppies and health and safety and obviously the government for downsizing the navy thus removing the scrumpy houses main sourse of income, for closing all the spit and sawdust scrumpy houses on Union Street or somfink like that?:neutral:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wet_blobby The Birdman of Union Street. Diamond Lil's 16
pingbosun72 Union Street The Quarterdeck 80
kingoftwigs What happened to union street? Diamond Lil's 11
MoD_RSS Union connectivity review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Union dividend of £1,941 for every person in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New release shows the value of the Union to the nations of the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: Union stronger than ever MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to work with African Union to slow spread of coronavirus in Africa MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully The Union Jack Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS Response to the Fire Brigades Union on supporting fire services MoD News 0
C Can't PM Union Jack Bloody Computers 1
MoD_RSS Travel advice: Rugby Union Six Nations match against Italy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters from the Prime Minister to Department for Exiting the European Union Ministers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chance to ‘win while you save’ with new credit union prize account MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister launches new Growth Deals funding as he kicks off Union visits in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM speech on the Union: 4 July 2019 MoD News 0
vauxhall Firefighters Union Wins Landmark Pensions Case Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Statement by the High Representative of the European Union and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany and the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Statement by the High Representative of the European Union and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany and the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK to invest up to £30m through partnership with African Union MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Bob's State of the Union Diamond Lil's 43
MoD_RSS Press release: Continuity of requirements under the Construction Products Regulation when the UK leaves the European Union MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: PM's statement on exiting the European Union: 10 December 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM promises deal to strengthen the Union MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: DFID Ghana Social Sector Team Leader's speech at Adolescent and Youth Pre-Summit to African Union Second Girl Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Press statement - Progress on the UK’s exit from, and future relationship with, the European Union MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Continuity of planning (environmental) requirements when the UK leaves the European Union MoD News 0
slim Is the Unite union determined to close BMW? Current Affairs 8
soleil NFF: "Competition: Be a Mascot for the Army V Navy Rugby Union Match" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Royal Navy Rugby Union - Director Of Rugby Vacancy Sports and Adventure Training 1
soleil Sunday Times: "Should It Be Union Flag Or Is Jack All Right?" The Fleet 22
soleil Union J 'Go Commando' To Support Poppy Picnics Charity 9
soleil Union Jack Club - Army v Navy Rugby 2013 - April 27th 2013 Sports and Adventure Training 1
Naval_Families_Federation Competition: Be a Mascot for the Army V Navy Rugby Union Match Current Affairs 0
J Re-union Social & Reunions 1
janner Diesel Boat Re-union Submariners 1
trelawney126 French Firm to make Union Jacks for Olympics. The Gash Barge 8
S Union Flag flown on the foremast History 2
soleil Rugby Union: Royal Navy v Royal Air Force - 1930 - April 13th 2011, Newbury Sports and Adventure Training 5
soleil Rugby Union: Royal Navy v French Navy 31/03/11 At Brickfields Sports and Adventure Training 6
janner Diesel Boat Re union - 2011 Submariners 0
G HMS Brazen Association Re-Union Social & Reunions 6
B 21 club re-union Current Affairs 1
soleil Pompey News: "Union Pledges To Fight Any RFA Privatisation" RFA 6
soleil Pompey News: Rugby Union: Navy to take on RAF in Portsmouth Sports and Adventure Training 0
scouse Hms Danae and Yarmouth Re Union Social & Reunions 0
C Last Union Jack Current Affairs 2
Jenwren Wren re-union! Social & Reunions 9
R Bobbies Ordered Not to Wear Union Flag Badges Current Affairs 19
W "Punching Above the Budget" - Prospect Union Current Affairs 3